C H A P T E R O N E

Start from the beginning

"You told him." Johnny turned accusingly to Maeve.

Maeve gasped.

"I did not!" She exclaimed.

Johnny turned back to Robby who looked confused.

"Look. This is a family bonding thing. There's just something to take care of first."

"Great. Let's get going." Maeve stole the red sunglasses off of her dad and hopped onto the backseat.

While they were driving Johnny finally told his son the real reason they went to Mexico.

"You've got to be kidding." Robby exclaimed annoyed.

"You have every right to be upset." Johnny tried to calm him down.

Maeve listened silently in the back. She didn't want to be part of this argument.

"How could you take me down to Mexico and not mention once we're coming to get Miguel? 'Come on Robby, let's go to Mexico. Come back with some stories.'"

"I wasn't bullshitting you. I wanna fix our relationship. But when I heard Miguel was in trouble, I had to do something. I just couldn't leave you at home. I'm done doing that." Johnny tried to reason.

"Besides, I need your help to find Miguel."

"My help? Do you even have a plan? Besides you have Maeve who could've helped you."

"Yeah, but I needed some extra help and of course I have a plan. Miguel's looking for Hector Salazar. I know were the kid gets off the bus. That's our first stop." Johnny explained.

"When we get there, what do you plan on doing?" Robby didn't look convinced.

"I'll ask around if anyone saw Miguel."

Maeve leaned forward.

"Dad, seriously?" She asked.

The girl thought he actually had a plan or at least a lead.

"That's the big plan?" Robby asked.

"Of course not. We come up dry, I'll check the Mexican phone book."

Maeve's mouth hung open.

"Oh my god. You drive me over a thousand miles to check a phone book? Might as well put Miguel's face on a milk carton." Robby complained.

"They still do that?" Their dad asked.

Maeve groaned and covered her face with her hands.

"I could be at home with Tory. Coming with you was a mistake." Robby turned to look out of the window.

Johnny sight.

"All right. I'm sorry, okay? I thought this trip would help the three of you mend your relationship."

Maeve furrowed her eyebrows at that.

Why did she have to mend her relationship with Miguel. They talked and now they were fine. Well, kind of.

"When we get to the bus station, if you wanna buy a ticket home, you can go. I don't want you to go home, but-"

"Dad, watch out!" Robby yelled suddenly.

Maeve didn't see what happened, she only felt the car jerk to the right and going off road.

Her head hit the back of Robby's seat as Johnny hit the break.

Maeve groaned and held her nose that was now bleeding.

"Fuck." She said.

"Shit! Are you okay?" Johnny asked them, looking at Robby before turning towards his daughter.