"Well, that's all very nice but not very helpful," Kan's assistant said. "Unfortunately, his opportunities for being wonderful are rather limited here in Thirteen. So unless you're suggesting we toss him into the middle of combat-"

"That's exactly what I'm suggesting," Shota said. "Put him out in the field and just keep the cameras rolling."

"But people think he's carrying a child," Shoto pointed out.

"We'll spread the word that he lost the baby from the electrical shock in the arena," Kan replied. "Very sad. Very unfortunate."

The idea of sending (M/N) into combat was controversial. But Shota was a pretty tight case. If (M/N) performed well only in real-life circumstances, then he should go. "Everytime we coach him or give him lines, the best we can hope for is OK. It has to come from him. That's what people are responding to."

"Even if we're careful, we can't guarantee his safety," Mashirao said. "He'll be a target for every-"

"I want to go," (M/N) said. "I'm no help to the rebels here."

"And if you're killed?" Kaina asked.

(M/N) shrugged. "Make sure you get some footage. You can use that, anyway."

"Fine," Kaina said. "But let's take it one step at a time. Find the least dangerous situation that can evoke some spontaneity in you." She walked around Command, studying the illuminated district maps that showed the ongoing troop positions in the war. "Take him to Eight this afternoon. There was heavy bombing this morning, but the raid seems to have run its course. "I want him armed with a squad of bodyguards. Camera crew on the ground. Shota, you'll be airborne and in contact with him. Let's see what happens there. Does anyone have any other comments?"

No one spoke up so Kaina adjourned the meeting. Shota asked her to speak to (M/N) privately. The others left except for Shoto, who lingered uncertainly at (M/N)'s side. "What are you worried about?" Shota asked him. "I'm the one who needs the bodyguard."

"It's ok," (M/N) told Shoto, and he left. Then there was just the hum of the instruments, the purr of the ventilation system.

Shota took a seat across from him. "We're going to have to work together again. So, go ahead. Just say it."

(M/N) thought of the snarling, cruel exchange back on the hovercraft. The bitterness that followed. But all he said was "I can't believe you didn't rescue Katsuki."

"I know," Shota replied.

There was a sense of incompleteness. And not because he hadn't apologised. But because they were a team. They had a deal to keep Katsuki safe. A drunken, unrealistic deal made in the dark of night, but a deal just the same. And in (M/N)'s heart of hearts, he knew they both failed.

"Now you say it," (M/N) told him.

"I can't believe you let him out of your sight that night," Shota said.

(M/N) nodded. "I play it over and over in my head. What I could have done to keep him by my side without breaking the alliance. But nothing comes to me."

"You didn't have a choice. And even if I could've made Kan stay and rescue him that night, the whole hovercraft would've gone down. We barely got out as it was." (M/N) finally met Shota's eyes. Tired. Ringed with the circles of sleepless nights. "He's not dead yet, (M/N)."

"We're still in the game," (M/N) said.

"Still in. And I'm still your mentor." Shota pointed his marker at (M/N). "When you're on the ground, remember I'm airborne. I'll have the better view, so do what I tell you."