Lan Zhan does not care.

Wei Ying needs him, and that comes first, before he deals with even his own shock.

All around them are the sounds of people rushing by and dealing with multiple emergency cases, tension thick in the air and yet amid all that chaos, Lan Zhan can only feel what Wei Ying is feeling right now, a concentration of fear and panic.

"Well, thank you so much for bringing them in." The nurse says, standing up and putting her chair back next to Wei Ying's seat.

"Um, wait, please!" Wei Ying stands up as well. "What's going to happen to them?"

Lan Zhan can feel him trembling and he tightens his hold around Wei Ying's shoulders.

The nurse sighs, visibly choosing her words.

"I wish I could say that abandoned babies are a rarity, but unfortunately that's not the case. We can take in as many as ten babies per month, and that's the ones that make it to us. I know, I can see you care about them."

"We do!" Wei Ying wraps his arms around Lan Zhan's waist, leaning on him.

He still can't believe what they found. Two babies. Poor things, left by someone who could not deal with them. Wei Ying doesn't want to presume anything about their parents, but the smallest part of him is angry. Mostly, he's worried about the babies, needing to know that they're okay.

"Okay, then let me explain the protocol to you. The hospital has a responsibility to find the biological parents first, and we do that by posting on Social media, with a brief description of the babies in question. These are twins, and that's a rarity for sure. But I'll be honest with you; people who abandon their kids usually aren't in a position to change their minds. We might never know who their parents are. Once they become stable, because the hospital cannot be responsible for them, they're handed over to Social services and then it's up to them." She pats Wei Ying's arm sympathetically. "I know this is hard for you."

"Can we visit with them? It doesn't seem right to leave them here all alone." Wei Ying pleads with her.

He's only held them for as long as it took to reach here, but he can't let them go that easily.

"Alright, let me see what I can do," she promises, leaving them.

The moment she goes, Wei Ying tucks his face in Lan Zhan's neck, quietly crying.

"It's not fair," he sobs.

Lan Zhan agrees with him.

His hold tightens and he strokes Wei Ying's back, trying to comfort him.

***************

They sit for what seems like hours.

And then the nurse who had questioned Wei Ying arrives with another nurse in scrubs.

"Good news," She's smiling broadly. "The twins are fine for now, just a mild case of hypothermia, so they're in the ICU. But they're responding well to treatment, and they were very hungry. They've fed and they're sleeping. If you wish to see them, then my colleague can take you there." She stops them leaving, remembering something. "Oh, I almost forgot, they're both girls."

Wei Ying turns back to her and throws his arms around her out of relief.

Even Lan Zhan needs a moment.

He hadn't realised how stressed they both were with not knowing how the babies were. They are so small, and it's hard to understand why, how they could have been left there, in that quiet little alley.

What if Wei Ying never had the dream? Or he didn't remember having it?

He shudders at the thought, and forces himself to never think about that.