David put on a white t-shirt, some amiri light washed blue jeans, and some black rick owens.

He grabbed his Nike backpack and threw it over his shoulder. "David, Ethan, hurry up y'all are gonna be late!" Their mother, Karmen yelled from downstairs.

Their doors opening could be heard, Ethan walking from down the hall to downstairs, David following right behind him.

"I'm working late, so food is in the fridge. I know Ethan you told me you'd be at Aimee's. David you going anywhere?" Karmen looked between the two boys. She put her wallet in her tote bag.

"Prolly." He dryly responded.

"Okay we'll be safe, i'll see you guys late. Love y'all." She smiled, kissing both boys on their forehead.

They made their way to David's car, it was pretty cold since it was only March. The weather didn't get hot til June. He turned on the car, immediately turning on the heat.

The car ride was quiet. Both boys were barely up and see each other everyday. There just wasn't nothing to talk about.

David walked into the big building, putting his second generation Air Pod pros in his ear. Playing Been Away by Brent Fiayaz, he walked through the west hall.

The way the school was set up, there was two sides. West and East. And across from both was south. Upstairs just had East and West. You could tell the difference by the numbers. Downstairs room numbers started with one hundred. Like room E120. That's a downstairs room in east hall. And rooms upstairs were labeled with two hundred. Like room W210. That's a upstairs room in the west hallway. It was U shaped.

He walked to his red colored locker, which was a top locker. He took his black binder out of his book bag and zipped his bag back up. Putting it in his locker and slamming the door shut.

He felt a tap on his shoulder. Meeting with Daijiana with a slight smile on her face. "You finished the packet in history? I missed two pages."

"Uh yeah. You need it?" He shoved his air pod in his pocket.

"Please, i'll give it back during passing time." She told him. He nodded, grabbing the history packet out of his folder and closing his binder.

"Thank you so much. I'll text you." She walked away. She didn't feel like really getting dressed today. So she wore a black cargo skirt and a Never Broke Again graphic t-shit. Basic but cute.

He put his air pod back in, humming the song as the first bell rung.

"Absolutely not!" Aimee hit Ethan as he took a sip from her slushie she bought from the school store.

"Bae why you hit me so hard bruh?" He held his arm.

"Cause you keep playing. Moveuhhh! Bro where is my best friend?" Aimee looked around, the absence of Daijiana very noticeable for her.

"There she go." Notti pointed over to the girl. She stood next to a brownskin boy. She was smiling as she looked up at him. He smirked, playing with his afro.

"I know she not.." Aimee gasped, looking at Daijiana talk to Tamir. She let out a long sigh, walking towards the two.

"Daijiana, bring yo black ass." The lightskin girl snatched Daijiana right up. She pulled the girl all the way back to the lunch table.

"Whattt?" Daijiana looked back, seeing the boy she was just talking to make eye contact and crack a smile. Causing her to do the same.

"I know you are not talking to Tamir." Aimee deadpanned. Daijiana made a yikes face. Because she indeed was talking to the boy.

"Lemme tell you someting!" She spoke in some kind of accent.

"Ion wanna hear nun of that bruh, why are you talkin' to that boy?" The lightskin girl shook her head.

A dreadhead stud coming from no where, munching on the school nachos. "What we talkin about gangy?" The girl asked, interrupting the two.

"Shut up Naija." Aimee shushed the girl, giving her attention to Daijiana.

"Who pissed in your cheerios? The fuck." Naija mugged her.

"Daijiana is talking to Tamir again." Aimee blurted. Daijiana face palmed and Naija gasped.

The reason why it was so shocking was because she swore she wouldn't talk to him, not let him hurt her heart again. And now, she was leading herself into just that.

"Uhnt uhn. Tell me why he staring at yo ass right now." Naija shook her head. Eating her cup noodles.

"Nigga where did you just- girl mind yo business." Naija cut Aimee off.

"He can look at it, as long as he don't grab it." She smiled slightly and sat her tongue over her two teeth.

"Don't piss me off."

"You're so scary, you're not gonna stay because my moms home?" Daijiana huffed. Her and Dd were supposed to watch her favorite movie today but once he realized her mom was home. He didn't want to go into the house.

"It's not that big of a deal. You're not my boyfriend, so she won't care." Daijiana told him.

"You sure?" He asked. The last thing he wanted to do was have Daijiana's mom not like him.

"Yes i'm sure. C'mon." She told him. He followed the girl into the house. Slowly. "Who at my door?" Alexis asked.

"My friend mom." She told. The woman walked into the living room, next to the front door.

"You are?" She asked, raising her eyebrow.

"David." He slightly smiled.

"Ahh you're-yes my he is. We're going to my room. Bye mom." Daijiana cut her mom off and dragged him to her room. Alexis just shook her head and continued to watch Love & Hip Hop.

The two sat in her room, scrolling through their phones for a while. Daijiana finally decided to speak up from the silence.

"I should dye my hair red shouldn't I?" She asked, looking in her camera at her fluffy hair.

"Why would you do that?" He asked, squinting at her.

"Ion know. I need some change, life's getting boring. And i'm finna get my belly pierced." She did a happy dance.

- Omani's Corner: daijiana is so real for that, change is all that's needed sometimes

proofread, 11.21.23