𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟖

Start from the beginning

But then his hard expression softens, and a pained look crosses his face, as if it's only now that he realizes the gravity of his choice. "It's for your own good—and mine. I can't keep putting you in danger, not if I actually..." He trails off, as if he almost let something slip that he didn't want to admit.

After a moment, he continues. "Never mind. The point is, we have to stop now before it's too late."

Those words. Too late. The impact they have on me is more than I'd like to admit. I can feel my heart shattering into a million pieces, and I don't know why. I don't know why his words affect me so deeply, but I can't deny that it's because I might actually love him.

After all, how couldn't I when he has a power over me that I can't seem to understand?

I can't imagine spending the rest of my life without him, but I know that it's not something that I can force him into. He's right about one thing—I can't keep putting myself at risk like this. But the fact that he's willing to do this for us makes my heart ache with guilt. His reasoning is clear, but it still hurts.

A thousand emotions threaten to overwhelm me, each one fighting to be heard. But I try to keep a level head and do what I can to change his mind. "Don't say that."

The bodyguard looks down at me, meeting my gaze. An unreadable expression falls upon his face, and it almost appears as though he's going to say something, but then he decides to keep his mouth shut for a moment longer than usual.

After a few moments go by, he takes a deep breath and then starts speaking. "Look, Princess." His voice is quiet, barely loud enough for me to hear. "I want this, but with Marco knowing everything, he could use it to blackmail us. I'm not risking your life for pleasure."

The mention of Marco's name makes my blood boil, but I can't let Alex see that. I take a deep breath, hoping it will help me calm down.

"I get it," I respond to him, crossing my arms over my chest in frustration. "And I appreciate that you're looking out for my safety—but Alex," my voice grows louder, "we have to find a way to deal with Marco ourselves. I'm not letting him control or ruin our lives."

Alex takes another deep breath, his jaw tightening as he tries to find the right thing to say. When he speaks again, he sounds a lot more serious than usual.

"Princess," he starts, meeting my eyes and placing his hands on my shoulders. "Marco is ruthless. He could do a lot more than just blackmail us. As insane as it is, he's capable of murdering you."

With a sigh, he looks away and takes his hands off my shoulders, leaving a cold feeling to replace the once warm and comforting touch of his. I pause myself to take his words to heart. He's right—Marco is capable of doing anything for power. But I'm capable of doing anything for my freedom.

I'm done being a puppet on strings controlled by greedy men.

Clenching my jaw, I step forward persistently and force him to look me in the eye with my hand tilting his head down again. "So then we murder him first," I propose, deadly serious.

The bodyguard backs away slightly, clearly startled by my blunt response, but I grab ahold of his arm and don't let go, keeping it held firmly in my grip. I can feel his muscles tense up as he tries to pull back, but I don't relent.