His purpose for going limp, for hiding his own fighting spirit was exactly this: if Vladimir thought Wei Ying was giving up, he would not be alerted to his plan, which was to subdue Vladimir through empathy. Wei Ying's ability to harm the Jin guy that night was still a source of his nightmares, and he used that power now.

He might not have the aid of the array that his grandmother used, but Wei Ying has to try!

Thought after thought, he rams them into Vladimir's mind like bullets, relentlessly attacking him with despair and hopelessness, waiting for for him to loosen his hold over Wei Ying's mouth, and when that doesn't happen, Wei Ying forces his own jaw open to bite on those disgusting fingers as hard as he can.

With a yelp, Vladimir wrenches his hand away and it's the opening Wei Ying was waiting for. His hands are ready: one reaches into his left pocket to take out the HeartStone and his right has his locket out, snapping them together in a split second, along with the terrifying whistle that leaves his mouth.

Vladimir had been just about to attack when he's frozen in place.

Wei Ying holds onto the water basin at his side, trying to figure out what to do next, before someone comes in. He's still shaking, coming to terms with just how much danger he was in.

He settles for calling his grandmother.

She picks up on the first ring.

"A-Ying?"

"Hey, grandmother, you're never going to guess what happened..."

************

Wei Ying had found an 'Out of Order' sign that he hung on the door outside of the men's toilets, and then he sat on a space next to the basins, his back to the mirror, swinging his legs.

He texted Lan Zhan, explaining what had happened and that he was safe.

The message probably wouldn't get through until Lan Zhan left the actual theatre, since in the past, Wei Ying had always noticed the lack of signal in there.

Then he settled down to wait.

Lan Zhan was going to go ballistic.

In that, he didn't feel any sympathy for this asshole, probably glaring at the floor. Wei Ying had chosen on purpose to sit where he didn't have to look at his face. As it was, he was probably going to have nightmares about this for a long time to come.

Baoshan Sanren knocked on the door, no less than fifteen minutes after Wei Ying called her, ready to kick it down - the only thing that stopped her was Wei Ying's explanation of the situation and what he'd done.

Thankfully, she came prepared.

When Wei Ying opened the door to the sound of her voice, she swept him up in a fierce hug, while Xiao XingChen and Song Lan rushed past her, ready to act.

Baoshan Sanren checks him, patting his arms to make sure he's alright. Only when she's satisfied, she steps back with a scowl aimed at the blond vampire.

"Don't start without me," Wei Ying says quickly, racing back to the theatre.

He knew that Lan Zhan wouldn't leave the children alone there, but he must be worried because Wei Ying had been gone for far too long already. Nothing except explosive diarrhoea could explain his absence, he thinks, trying to be as quiet as he can.

He slips into the empty seat next to an alert and waiting Lan Zhan, grabbing his hand.

"I'm okay," he starts off with that, and even by the light of the screen on Lan Zhan's face, he can already tell it was the wrong thing to say. Wei Ying shifts in his place so his mouth is closer to Lan Zhan's ear, just so that the children can't hear what he has to say. "Vladimir found me in the bathroom, it's okay, it's okay," he explains and then has to reassure Lan Zhan quickly, as he squeezes their hands.