"I don't think she's in the mood to talk to any of us. We didn't really think this through, did we?" I looked at Nicholas. "She might, however, talk to you."

"W-What? Me?" The horrified look on Nicholas' face was almost comical.

"She was overly apologetic to you about the deceased father comment," I explained. "She might not be mad at you."

"I-I wouldn't know what to say. It should be you, Matilda."

"Why me? I was the one who yelled at her."

"Because... you're a woman." I folded my arms across my chest and raised an eyebrow at him. "I-I just mean because you two are friends... and women talk about their feelings and whatnot."

He cringed, knowing he was saying the wrong thing. But I let him off the hook. He was right, though. We were friends. At least, I was hoping we still would be after all this had blown over. I was ready to forgive her, and I wanted to apologise for my drunken behaviour.

"Fine. Stay here," I ordered, even though I knew there was no chance of them following me, anyway. I started walking towards Isabella and caught up to her pretty quick, as she had slowed her pace knowing Robbie was no longer chasing her. "Isabella?"

"Go away, Tilly," she responded abruptly without turning around.

"What are you doing out in the middle of nowhere on your own? Where is your horse?" She didn't respond. "I'm sorry." That made her stop, but she didn't turn around. I stayed behind her and continued talking to the back of her head. "I shouldn't have said those things."

She finally turned around to face me. "But it's true. Those things you said. About me being jealous. I was jealous. You and Nicholas had what I wanted."

"And you can still have what we have."

She shook her head. "No, I can't."

"Yes, you can. Isabella, your father wasn't the one who was preventing you and Robbie from becoming engaged."

"I know." I could see tears forming in her eyes. "And the truth is so much worse. I knew my father would eventually come around. I knew all I had to do was be patient. But now that I know Robbie was the one who was stalling our engagement... that is so much worse, Tilly. It means he doesn't love me. It means... it's over." She burst into tears, burying her face with her hands.

I reached out to her and pulled her into an embrace. "No, no, Isabella, there's no need to cry. Robbie loves you. He loves you more than anything in this world.

"He d-doesn't," she sobbed into my shoulder.

"Yes, he does. He told me last night." She lifted her head and her red, tear-filled eyes blinked at me. "He was just scared, that's all. It happens. He thought he wasn't good enough for you or your family."

"He thought that?" I nodded. "But that's silly."

"He just needed some reassurance. We had a good talk last night after he came to the cottage in a panic because you had run away."

"Oh, no, I didn't run away, Tilly. Is that what everyone thinks?"

"Yes. But if you didn't run away, where have you been all this time?"

"I just came to say goodbye to our little cottage. I knew Robbie wouldn't purchase it for us once our courting was over. I was only planning on staying an hour or so. Just as I was about to leave, the buggy wheel hit a rock and broke some spokes. I was stranded there. I knew it would be reckless for me to start walking, as it would've been dark before I reached anywhere safe. So I stayed at the cottage overnight and started walking towards the main road this morning, hoping someone would eventually ride past. I couldn't believe it when I saw Robbie."