12. do you like me, like me, or just like me? (pt. 2.)

Start from the beginning

"Do you not remember the conversation when I called you stupid?"

"Let's continue this conversation when I'm not angry at old women, or I may start insulting you."

"Is that a sign of pre—"

"JJ, I'm not pregnant," I snap. He raises his hands.

We walk inside the stuffy store, and JJ walks right next to me. Pope and Kie stand next to Organic Honey, she smiles and me and wraps me in a hug, when she pulls away she studies my face. "You look annoyed," she observes.

"Never, I'm an easy breezy gal," I grin.

"Says no one ever," Kie grins back, squeezing my shoulder.

My eyes move to Pope who looks extremely I comfortable— constipated, even. "Is no one else fucking stressed?" He asks, looking at the three of us. I, for one, am.

JJ shrugs, "Don't let it get in your head. There are three of them and two of us," he sounds so casual. "That's some typical Kook shit right there," he adds.

"Hell yeah," Kie nods.

We watch Pope unload some produce onto some shelves, still looking constipated. I want to offer to help, just because of how uncomfortable he looks.

"What was your thought process when using your head?" JJ asks, sounding very amused.

"I don't know man, I just kinda acted off instinct," He answers, shrugging like it was no big deal. "I was a corned animal."

I hear footsteps walk into the small store, glancing over my shoulder I see Heyward, dressed in a bright red shirt that looks like it's been worn quite a few times. "Hey, Pope." He calls his son, and gestures behind him, out of the shop. "Someone's here to see you." I peer around the corner and my stomach drops right out my butt and onto the floor.

It's Shoupe. What the fuck. Am I getting arrested?

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property," he utters. Pope immediately spins around to look at JJ, like he would know what to do.

Topper's family could pay for a dozen replacements of the stupid boat and it wouldn't make a dent in their pockets, this is just revenge. They're trying to make a point, screwing up someone's life over petty grievances. Topper and Rafe—who no doubt has a hand in this—know full well Pope doesn't have access to a world-class lawyer.

Shoupe approaches us, pulling a set of metal handcuffs from his back pocket. "Hands where I can see 'em," he instructs. Pope somehow looks a step beyond constipated. He's about to go into heart failure. Kie makes a move to try and do something, stepping between Shoupe and Pope, "Young lady, out of my way." He glares at her, not wanting any part of this.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Heyward says, looking so confused at what's happened. "Shoupe, what'd he do?" The man asks, wondering what his straight-laced, smart son did to get arrested.

Shoupe doesn't seem even a little interested, "Look at the warrant," he says plainly. Shoupe pulls both of Pope's hands behind his back.

This is actually happening.

Pope looks scared, I can only imagine what's going on in his head. His entire life is crashing down, even getting arrested will kill any chance at grants and scholarships, no school will want to touch him with a ten-foot pole. He'll go from the intelligent straight-A kid to just another little shit from The Cut. Not to mention the connections the Thornton family has with the judicial system. Pope will get chewed up and spat out into a juivie.

"You're just arresting my boy?" Heyward sounds like he can't believe what his eyes are seeing. People begin talking over one another, whatever teenage Plan B gossip I started is old news, now someone's getting arrested. Heyward's borderline shouting, Kie is repeating again and again Pope's innocence and Pope himself just stands with a thousand-mile stare.