12. do you like me, like me, or just like me? (pt. 2.)

En başından başla

"There's nothing to be embarrassed about, I wouldn't judge." I don't let the issue go.

He scoffs, "Yes, you would."

We walk down the next aisle, eventually getting to the feminine health section. I pass pregnancy tests and tampons, eventually finding what I'm looking for.

"How many do you need? Probably more than one, just to be safe, right?" He looks at them.

"I don't think that's how it works, plus explaining I overdosed on Plan B would be very awkward." I grab a box, looking it over. Seems like it'd be good enough.

JJ looks at the price tag, "Do you want me to pay?" He offers.

"Do you have a singular dollar in your pocket right now?" I ask him, his hands tap his pockets. He digs into one and pulls out a receipt.

"No. Not currently."

I nod, "Thought so." I wander down the aisle toward the cooler shelf filled with drinks and grab a bottle of water, then a Mars Bar to throw down with it.

JJ walks beside me to the register, seeing the two of us coming the woman walks around behind the till. I dump the items on the counter and smile at her, trying my very best not to be awkward, that'll only make things worse. "Just these, thanks." I greet her.

She gives me a thin smile, then looks back to JJ. Her fingers covered in tacky rings that have turned her skin green, grab the drink bottle and run it passed the scanner, she then scans the Mars Bar, her hands grab the pack then stop moving.

Great.

"Is this for you?" She asks, looking at me with a pinched expression.

"Well, it isn't for him," I tell her, not letting my words shake. I am not in the mood for this.

"Do you know what this pill does?"

"It says on the box. It's an emergency contraceptive used if you have had unprotected sex in the last three days. I'll pay by card, thanks." I pull out the piece of plastic and hold it up, waiting for the machine to turn on.

"You do know there are other options. What's your name?" she won't let it drop.

"My name isn't relevant to this conversation and throwing myself down the stairs doesn't tickle my fancy, and the hanger isn't much better. I have places to be," I stress. She presses the button, and I scan my card. I grab my items, "I don't need the receipt. Have a wonderful day, Miss." I give her a painfully fake smile.

I turn and storm out of the pharmacy, walking straight over the street. JJ jogs to catch up with me, "Are you okay?"

"Peachy. Put this in your pocket, would you?" I ask, he nods and grabs the box and shoves it into his unfairly big pockets.

"Heyward's is just around the corner, like five minutes away," he tells me.

I don't say anything, annoyed at the world. Cracking open the water I chug some back, the midday heat getting to me. Using my teeth to rip open the plastic, I start demolishing the chocolate bar.

"About last night," JJ starts, clearing his throat. I hum for him to continue after a second of silence. I think he's trying to collect his thoughts. "I know the whole deal thing is done, but we don't have to, you know, stop sleeping together. You know, we wouldn't need to be so careful."

He looks across at me after I don't say anything.

"What's that supposed to mean? Because I'm now not only the crazy girl, but now I'm also the tramp," I'm trying my very best to not sound like I care about the list of monikers being attached to my name, but I do care. "I know you said you didn't care, but I did just get my head cracked open, so you may have felt a little sympathetic to my cause."