XiX| Saturday

星期六,我們為小鎮粉刷
On Saturday, we paint the town.

Mai Chen and Pierre Gasly were not a fairytale

There was no fairytale of love at first sight or the boy saving the girl from something tragic. There was no 'kiss and feel fireworks all over your body'. They were a journey of adventures, heartbreak and small gestures that made the world turn. They were Mai and Pierre.

While the words of 'I love you' hadn't been said yet, they knew what they had was strong. The wold love wasn't just something Mai could throw around and she needed to be sure before she said it; Pierre understood that.

Mai adored that Pierre was liked by her parents and that over the week they were there, they got along really well. 

Then there was the day after Mai's parents left when Pierre had stayed over at her house for the night.

It has been a good night.

Part of Mai knew she'd miss Pierre while she was celebrating Christmas and New Year in Singapore. Not to mention, they'd only get a few weeks to be with each other before Mai headed back to Singapore for Chinese New Year. Normally, Mai would just stay with her parents from December to early February but this year, it would be a change.

"Charles and Robyn are coming to Italy for a few days before they spend winter in Monaco," Pierre began as they walked through the street. "I thought it would be a good idea if we all went out somewhere and maybe...we can come to your show on Sunday?"

"I do not see a problem with that so okay," Mai nodded.

"Mai, can i ask you something?"

"You just did but go on," Mai teased.

"You've lived in Milan for years but have you ever been to anywhere else in Italy?" Pierre questioned curiously.

Mai shuffled in her spot, a little embarrassed. She'd never had the confidence or the time to go exploring the country she lived in. Until Pierre, she barely left the country at all!

"No," She mumbled.

"Really?" Pierre replied in amusement.

Mai shook her head.

"You are missing out," Pierre smiled. "We're going on a road trip to visit Robyn and Charles. They're in Sestri Levante, it's really nice."

"Okay," Mai agreed. "I trust you."

"I just want to spend time with you," Pierre smiled as he held her hand in his.

"I want to spend time with you too," Mai replied as she kissed his cheek.

═══ஓ๑ ♫ ♡ ♫ ๑ஓ═══

"I love trains," Mai Chen signed happily.

Mai and Pierre found themselves on a train bound for Sestri Levante from Milan. Mai had her service dog, Popcorn, nestled by her side. Pierre was smiling as he watched Mai gaze out the window in wonder.

Mai loved being on trains. She enjoyed watching the world go by, observing the scenery change from bustling cities to rolling hills and lush valleys. She didn't do it a lot but it was one of the safer transport options when you had frequent fainting episodes.

Mai and Pierre sat in the far corner of the carriage to avoid being spotted. They were happy in their own little world, enjoying the peace and quiet of the train ride. Popcorn was content to just sit and take in the sights and sounds of the journey.

Pierre found himself amused by Mai's entertainment. He watched as she pointed out interesting landmarks and chuckled at her reactions to the passing scenery. She was like a child in a candy store, her eyes wide with wonder and excitement.

Around an hour into the journey

"Mai," Pierre whispered in her ear,"Popcorn."

Mai looked down, seeing Popcorn resting his head on her knees. It was the first stage of a warning...if Mai didn't acknowledge him, he'd move on to placing his paw on her before he eventually started to bark. She hadn't ever gotten to the barking stage.

"Thanks Popcorn," Mai whispered at the dog, patting him on the head.

Pierre moved closer to Mai's seat and ushered her to put her head on his shoulder so she didn't accidentally fall against the table. Despite knowing it was a normal thing for Mai, Pierre always worried through every attack, making sure she was breathing and wasn't out for too long. He knew that he'd grow to get used to it just like Mai.

Or he'd just worry because it was Mai.

Finally, Mai woke up a few minutes later. Soon enough, the train was pulling into the station and they were heading through the city towards where they were meeting Pierre's best friend.

"Pierre Gasllllyyyyy!" A female voice sung in Daniel Ricciardo style.

A voice Pierre Gasly had come to adore having around: Robyn Saunders, the W series champion, Mercedes rookie superstar and the new friendly person on the Formula 1 grid. Not to mention, Charles Leclerc's girlfriend.

"Hi Mai!" Robyn greeted happily. "I know you've met Charles briefly but he's pretty boy Leclerc."

"Really?" Charles gave an amused look to his girlfriend.

"I don't like to lie Char," Robyn teased.

"Take the compliment," Pierre laughed as they began to walk towards the beach.

"It's beautiful here," Mai commented lightly as she bent down to run her hand through the side. "I have never left Milan..."

"When was the last time you were at the beach?" Charles asked kindly.

"Uh," Mai stalled. "I think I was ten. My parents hated the beach so we never went."

Robyn gasped. "My parents loved the beach but my brother hated it. My sister, Ash, and I used to make sand castles and Oliver would knock them down. Most the time he felt bad and rebuilt it for us?"

"But he kept doing it?" Pierre questioned in amusement.

"Everytime," Robyn laughed.

Mai wondered what would have happened if Robyn and Charles hadn't been there that night in the theatre. Would Pierre have even tried to make a move at all or would have Mai just forgotten about him? Maybe they would have just been...the man who helped the woman who fainted.

Yet, that one day had changed everything and now a beautiful Saturday afternoon was being spent on the beach, something Mai Chen never thought she'd do again. 

Perhaps Pierre Gasly had saved her from herself.