Chapter 1

Nicholas Young. Yeah, that guy. The one who married Rachel Chu, despite his mother's disapproval. The one who's friends with Colin Khoo and Araminta Lee. The cousin of the beauty of Astrid Leong.

A woman dressed in a blue gown climbed out of the backseat of a car. Her heels clicked on the pavement as she climbed the stairs of a brownstone before knocking on the door. A gentle breeze rustles the hem of her floor length gown.

Nick Young opened the door, "How can I help?"

The woman smiled, "I'm Evelyne Sung. I believe that you are Nicholas Young."

"Yes, I am." Nick replied, confused.

"Ah, well then." Evelyne Sung paused, giving a glance to the car behind her. "I believe that you are my brother."

Nick froze. He stared at this woman, Evelyne Sung, carefully. She had her dark hair curled up into a chic braided chignon. Wisps of hair fell, curtaining the edges of her forehead. She looked like the younger version of his mother. A carbon copy from when she was in her thirties.

"Mr. Young?" Evelyne asked in an impeccable British accent, tinged by the years of speaking Japanese. She reached out an impeccably manicured hand, resting in on Nick's arm. "Are you quite alright?"

"Eve-Ms. Sung, I believe that you are mistaken." Nick managed to stutter out. "I'm an only child."

"That is where you are wrong," Evelyne insisted. "And please, call me Evelyne."

The car door behind Evelyne opened, and Eleanor Young, in all her glory, stepped out. Eleanor walked up the steps to join Evelyne and Nick on the porch.

"Nicky," Eleanor rested a hand on Nick's forearm. "Do let us in."

Footsteps sounded from behind Nick. Rachel Chu-Young popped her head out.

"Who's this, Nick?" Rachel asked, looking at Evelyne. Then she noticed Eleanor and gave a polite smile. "Eleanor, what a surprise." She nudged her husband. "You're not going to let them stand outside all night? Let them in."

"No." Nick said, a determined look on his face. "Mum can come in but not her."

Evelyne nodded, retreating back towards the car. Before Evelyne had even gone down two steps, Eleanor reached out her hand and grabbed Evelyne's wrist.

"Ev, wait." Eleanor said, her eyes begging her daughter to stay with her. With a hard look on her face, she turned to her son. "Nick, let us both in."

Rachel sighed, "Who is she, Nick?"

"She claims to be my sister," Nick replied, stiffly.

Rachel stared between mother and daughter, "They look alike."

"She can't come in," Nick repeated. "Mum, she could be lying. You always said that I was your only child."

"I should've listened to Astrid about trying to get to know Nick," Evelyne said, twisting her arm so Eleanor released her wrist. "She's always right about these things.

"You know Astrid?" Nick looked horrified.

"Of course," Evelyne nodded.

"Did Ah Ma?" Nick asked.

"Of course," Evelyne repeated.

"What do you want? The family money? Power?" Nick demanded.

"I want to know my family, to be part of a family," Evelyne said, looking Nick in the eyes. "That's all I've ever wanted. To know who my mother is."

"So you chose us to be your family?" Nick scoffed. "That's not the way things work. You don't just choose a family randomly."

Eleanor stiffened, "Don't talk to her like that."

"It was a bad idea to even try, Mum," Evelyne said, returning to the car. "It was nice meeting you, Nick."

Evelyne climbed back into the car, closing the door behind her.

"She wanted to get to know you, Nick," Eleanor sighed. "That's all she wanted."

"So, I assume that this isn't your kid?" Nick demanded.

"It doesn't matter, Nick." Eleanor snapped.

"It matters to me. If she is who she claims she is, I don't care. You kept her out of my life. You hid her away because you didn't want to lose Dad. I don't want to get to know her. I don't want to see you again."

Tears glistened in Eleanor's eyes, "Nick, please."

Nick stepped back into the house, slamming the door shut.

Eleanor turned around, descending the stairs to join her daughter in the car as tears streamed down her face.