Chapter 2

Hypatia had the strangest dreams. She dreamt she was back in the halls of the Ministry, fighting Death Eater's with Regulus Black at her side. They fought seamlessly, back to back, as if they could anticipate each other's next move. When he struck down Bellatrix he grabbed her and kissed her until she could hardly remember where she was.

Hypatia began to stir in her sleep, and Regulus stroked her back gently. He had moved her to her bedroom while Remus and Sirius had their talk. He had to inform Remus about what had happened to Regulus, and the path he wanted to take forward.

Hypatia woke up slowly. She felt terribly ill, but the slow rubbing on her back made her feel a bit less queasy. She knew now what people meant by the phrase 'Know your limit'. She certainly hadn't known hers. She felt the smooth sheets of her bed against her face.

"You're alright, love."

Hypatia scrambled backwards towards the edge of her bed. It turned out that was a very bad idea. She immediately felt ill, and lurched over the side of her bed to throw up. Kreacher cleaned it with a snap of his fingers, and to Hypatia's surprise he didn't so much as mumble a complaint.

"Kreacher, please fetch your Mistress a pain potion."

Hypatia turned around slowly. She steadied herself with one hand against her headboard. She knew who he was as soon as she saw him. She had seen the pictures. She had just battled at his side in her dreams. Her stomach flipped as she remembered the way he had kissed her in her dream.

Regulus Arcturus Black was sitting on the edge of her bed. He looked like he hadn't aged a day since he had disappeared at the age of seventeen. He had on black robes, and a small smile. He was far more handsome than the pictures she had seen.

Kreacher reappeared with a pain potion, and held it out to Hypatia. She took it and shot it back. She held onto the bottle, ringing it in her hands nervously. Kreacher stared at her impatiently until she handed it over. Then he left her alone in the room with Regulus.

"This is improper," she blurted out without thinking. "I mean- I'm sorry. It is improper, but that's not the point. What are you doing here? What happened? Are my friends safe? Also, this really is improper. Sirius will have a fit, even if he doesn't usually care about etiquette."

Regulus tried to keep track of all her questions. "Sirius and I have already had a chat. He found us shortly after you brought me back. He is speaking with Remus, though I'm sure he'd come, if you felt the need to call him. I'm sorry to say I have no news of your friends, though Sirius told me about the battle."

Hypatia narrowed her eyes at him. She wished those gray eyes were just a little less enchanting. They were just a few shades darker than Sirius's own. They made it hard to think straight.

"I brought you back? I can't remember. I had..." she looked at him nervously. He motioned for her to continue. "I drank quite a lot of Ogden's. There was a Battle at the Ministry of Magic, and I thought it would help me sleep. I assure you it's the only time this has ever happened."

"The Ogden's I know about. There was a nearly empty bottle next to you. Quite a feat for a woman so small, especially if you're not used to drinking. You used the blood magic ritual in one of my notebooks to bring me back."

"Where were you? Sirius could have used your help."

Regulus was panged with regret. If he had just been a little more careful, if he had allowed Kreacher to tell Sirius, perhaps this could have been avoided. Still, it did no good to dwell on what might have been.

"I tried to defeat the Dark Lord. I was unavoidably detained in a state between life and death by the Black family magic. It's practically sentient, like several of the ancient family magicks." He looked away from her, lost in thought, before he turned his eyes back to her. "I'm sorry I wasn't here. But I'm here now. I won't allow anyone to hurt you, or Sirius."