Chapter 10: Confrontation with Reality

Scene: Ashu's home, evening.

Nearly a month has passed since Ashu began his reluctant transformation into "Ashika." The routine has become a sort of second nature, and he's navigated through the days with a blend of irritation and grudging acceptance. His once-frequent complaints have given way to a weary resignation.

Gurpreet: (gentle) Ashika, I have some news. Mandeep's flight has been delayed by a day.

Ashu looks up, surprised by his mother's tone.

Ashu: (raising an eyebrow) Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Gurpreet: (smiling) It's both, I suppose. It means we have a little more time to prepare, but it also means we have one more day to keep up the charade.

Ashu: (sighing) Yeah, I guess.

Gurpreet: (thoughtfully) There's something I want to discuss. Since it's been a month, we thought of giving you some relief from the wig.

Ashu's eyes widen in surprise.

Ashu: (excited) Seriously? You have no idea how uncomfortable that thing is!

Gurpreet chuckles.

Gurpreet: I can imagine. But here's the thing—we can't just have you with short hair. It might raise questions.

Ashu's excitement deflates slightly.

Ashu: (disappointed) So, what's the solution?

Gurpreet's smile returns, and she explains a plan.

Gurpreet: We're going to get you some permanent hair extensions, just for these two weeks. They'll look natural and can be removed later. This way, you won't have to wear the wig all the time.

Ashu's eyes light up with a mixture of surprise and gratitude.

Ashu: (grinning) That sounds amazing! But how do hair extensions work?

Gurpreet explains the process, and the same day they visit a salon. Ashu watches in a mix of fascination and apprehension as the stylist works on his hair.

Stylist: (smiling) There you go, all done.

Ashu touches his new hair, amazed by how real it looks and feels.

Ashu: (grinning) This is incredible! It feels so much better than that wig.

Gurpreet: (smiling) I'm glad you like it, beta.

As the day of Mandeep's arrival approaches, Ashufinds himself feeling a mix of emotions. Relief at the prospect of not wearingthe wig, and a strange sense of attachment to the hair extensions. It's as ifthey've become a part of his journey—a physical reminder of the role he'splayed and the sacrifices his family has made.