Chapter 4: The Root of All Sin

Start from the beginning

Malia nodded. "Yes ma'am," what in the world was this about? She surely had not paid Mrs. Quincy any disrespect... Had she?

"Go on, then," Mrs. Boatwright turned her eyes back to Mrs. Quincy. "Ask whatever you want of her, Abigail."

Mrs. Quincy seemed more than ready to do so. Standing to her full height, she turned to Malia and cleared her throat. "You came to my house in the beginning of the week, correct?"

"We went over this," Mrs. Boatwright hissed. "I sent her. She went on my orders."

"I want to hear from her everything she did while she was on my husband's property," Mrs. Quincy said, not taking her eyes off of Malia. "Speak, girl."

Malia did, but her voice clearly shook. "I-I went to your home, as was ordered, and delivered the invitation to a lady at the servant's door, as I was asked specifically not to come to the main doors."

"So that much she accomplished with a certain degree of decorum," Mrs. Quincy said to Mrs. Boatwright. Before Malia's mistress could reply, and seemed ready to do so, Mrs. Quincy continued with her interrogation, directly addressing Malia once again. "What was the name of the servant you gave the invitation to?"

"I..." Malia felt her nerves weighing down on her. "I did not ask, ma'am... I was in a rush."

"A rush," Mrs. Quincy scoffed. "That's why you took the time to stop in your exiting the property to speak with my husband, isn't it?"

Malia felt her blood run cold. "I was leaving... I meant to leave immediately, only your husband and his brother, the younger Mr. Quincy... They came up on their horses then and-"

"And you didn't keep walking?" Mrs. Quincy asked. "You had to flaunt yourself like a common harlot to men of better means than you?"

"If you cannot keep this civil, I will have to ask you to leave my home and never return," Mrs. Boatwright said, voice sharp. "I will not have you accusing a most trusted servant of my home without cause. You are married to a Magistrate, Abigail, I should think you would know better!"

"And I should think that a lady of your standing would have better regard for her reputation!" Mrs. Quincy's tone was just as icy as her gaze, if not more. "Employing an abomination for a trusted servant... I have never heard the like! And then condoning her to swoon over my husband like a wh-"

"Don't you dare speak that word in my house," Mrs. Boatwright held up a finger. "Malia is the daughter of Colonel Jack Raver, Abigail. I know you know him. I know that you are aware that he saved my husband's life in India. He was a respected man in Lanfore. If I recalled correctly, even your husband named him a dear friend. If you insult Malia being here, then you insult my husband's honor, and the Magistrate's as well."

"Don't you dare bring my husband into this with this harlot in the room to bask in his name!"

"Ma'am, I assure you," Malia didn't want Mrs. Boatwright to defend her and, in doing so, put herself in a bad spot, "I never said anything to your husband in a improper way. I was polite, as I was taught, and cordial."

"And staring at him earlier?" Mrs. Quincy accused. "Was that polite, girl? Is that what they teach your lot in India?"

Malia felt herself getting angry, but she surprised herself with how well she kept her composure. "I am not sure to what you refer to, ma'am, but if it looked like I was staring at anyone or anything, it would have been the sizeable number of guests in this house that I have never seen before, and nothing more. I may or may not have caught your husband's eye for more than a second, but that is all, I swear on my honor."