Luke shook his head. "Work release. Good behavior. Look— can you get me to the house?"

Cassie glanced up to the front door, then over to her grandma's car in the driveway. "Are you hiding from someone?" She eventually asks.

"Cassie." Luke tried to refocus her attention back to his earlier request.

She swallowed harshly, thinking. "Yes. Yeah, I—" she took a deep breath. "I need to check on grandma. And get the keys. Stay—" she gestured to the trashcan he was previously hiding behind. "Stay down. If she sees you she'll— yeah."

Cassie was already turning to leave and head up to the front porch before she could even finish her own sentence. Her brain now muddled with more questions and confusion as she walked through the front door.

Thankfully the living room tv was still playing loudly, and while her grandma was still sat on the couch, right next to the window her father hid right below, she seemingly didn't notice a thing.

When her grandma noticed Cassie walked in, she first glanced up to the stairs, then back to Cassie, confused as to how and when she'd left in the first place.

"I thought you were still asleep." Her grandma chuckled slightly.

Cassie nodded a bit, walking forward to grab the keys off the table. "Yeah, no, I— slept at Kiara's. We're getting lunch now, though." Cassie didn't like how easily lying came to her. "So I'm taking the car, that okay?"

Her grandma nodded, eyeing her. "You look rough, honey." She said it compassionately, but it didn't feel that way.

Cassie caught glance of her reflection on the mirror by the door. Smudged makeup under her eyes, still wearing that beer stained dress from the night before. She nodded. "Yeah. I know." She grabbed a big denim jacket off of coat hooks, one of her grandpa's old work jackets, and put that on over her dress, hoping it would conceal how disgusting she felt.

If her previously jailed father wasn't hiding outside behind a trash can right now, waiting for her to drive them to their house, she'd probably go upstairs and take a little bit of time to freshen up. But, here she was.

After saying goodbye, Cassie was back out the door and already storming off to the driveway where the car sat. The sound of the car unlocking must've signaled to her dad that they were good to go, as he slowly came around the other corner.

"Thank you, Cassie." He spoke, looking around to make sure no one saw as he got into the passenger seat.

She didn't respond, just got behind the wheel and started the drive to The Cut.

After a few moments, Cassie was sure this would be a silent car ride the entire way to the trailer. And probably better that way, too. Whatever problems Luke had already found himself in, Cassie wanted no part. But he spoke up eventually.

"Who was that?" He asked, glancing at his daughter as she drove.

Cassie clenched her jaw slightly. "Who was who?"

Luke let out a scoff. "Kid that dropped you off. In the Mercedes."

She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, realizing that he probably heard and saw that entire conversation go down. "My friend."