Stage Right

"Look, I don't even understand why I must keep showing up for rehearsal when you haven't got me a new scene partner. We're not even on to the ensemble bits yet." Stede gesticulated with his script toward the director, Lucius Spriggs, who sat three rows back in the Augustine Regional Theatre.

Lucius rubbed his nose and sighed. "Come on, Stede. Just run the lines with me, please? I've got some people lined up to audition after we finish."

"I don't see the bloody point! You'd just be testing my memory and we're supposed to be working..." Stede sucked in a sharp breath and then lowered his voice. "...working out a very delicate dynamic."
The 'delicate dynamic' Stede was referring to was in fact that the newly-out amateur actor was embarking on his first gay role. He'd been involved in the community theatre group for over a decade, as an actor, a director, and a stage manager. The play, an ensemble piece about an apartment block in San Francisco and the people who lived there, was the first time his character was explicitly not straight.

And then there was the kiss.

The only kiss in the play, as a matter of fact. This Way to Lombard Street didn't have 'stars' as an ensemble piece, but Stede's character, Franklin, and his relationship with George constituted the backbone of the show's narrative.

Lucius bit his tongue and held back a snippy comment he was very tempted to hurl at Stede. But something beyond the irritated contortions of Stede's face made him reconsider. He recognized the anxiety for what it was. "Fiiiine. Go home. We're working on the ensemble scene from the end of act one on Tuesday, and I promise I'll have George cast by Thursday."

"Thank you," said Stede in a decidedly bitchy way. He turned his wrist over, which lit up the face of his smartwatch. "Only a few minutes left in any case."

Stede gathered up his things and ducked a messenger bag over his shoulder. Rather than exit through the main entrance of the theatre, he headed out the side door as it was closer to the parking lot.

"Excuse me, I'm here for the audition?"

Stede stood holding the edge of the door that would lock behind him if he let it go. He looked toward the source of the voice. His heart caught in his throat as he took in the tall, lanky, gray-haired man with shoulder-length hair pulled back in a ponytail and a short beard.

When their eyes met, Stede found himself staring.

"Ah, em. Yes. The main entrance is around that way," Stede pointed, "... but I'm sure it'd be fine for you to come in this way. Rehearsal is just wrapping up." He shuffled awkwardly to hold the door up wide enough for the stranger to pass.

"Oh, you're in the play?"

"Ah, yep. I'm...I'm Stede."

"Stede. I'm Ed."

Stede looked at his offered hand. He reached out and shook it. "Pleased to meet you. Good luck. Make sure you..." he shuffled back, "...enunciate. Lucius hates a mealymouthed actor."

"Thanks," said Ed with a warm smile. Then he passed into the theatre.

As Stede let the door close behind him, his smart watch buzzed as a warning that his heart rate had increased.

Stede couldn't decide whether it was good or bad luck that Lucius ended up casting Ed for the role of George. He hadn't stopped thinking about him since their very brief interaction.

And there he was when he walked into rehearsal on Thursday, looking like a whole snack in a faded band tee and jeans that slung enticingly low. His hair, which had been in a ponytail when they first met, was down and wavy like it had been braided wet.