𝟎𝟑, very gold

Zacznij od początku

"Thanks for the advice, Thomas. What are you doing in here? All 'lone?" She asked taking one gulp of his whiskey, finishing it off, "Oh no! Did someone break your heart? Oh Tommy, I'm so very sorry." She mocked. He didn't answer, "Oh my fuck, I'm right? This never happens."

"Shut up or fuck off." He said to his cousin, "I'd keep watch of her if I were you."

Maggie forced a smile, "I do keep watch of her. Anyway she's starting school soon; can't be camping outside the classroom window observing her every move."

"Heard she's not so excited about that." Tom mentioned.

"She'll do some writing, learn some maths and hopefully make a few friends."

"Hopefully?" He scoffed, "she's a friendly kid. Carissa will have no problem making friends." Maggie smiled at his statement but her smile quickly dropped when he continued, "Don't know where she got that from." He said, becoming more serious.

She knew it wasn't a joke or his humour. The mother-daughter duo were different. The young girl could speak to anyone and it wouldn't come off as mean or rude or cold. The older woman couldn't go a day with out a line of Tokyo or a glass or two of liquor of any sort. One was nice and pleasant to be around the other... wasn't.

Everyone saw the difference, Tommy was just the one who told her what they saw. Carissa was more like her father and Tommy knew that with only knowing what Polly and Ada told him.

"Come on, you're the host." Maggie said after a moment of silence. She changed the subject, sober her knowing that a fight this early on in the night would be bad.

"You go on." he waved her off.

"Thomas, come on, you have guests... family." She knew the next words that were to come out of his mouth were going to be unpleasant so she cut him off, "Ada's here, with Karl. Everyone's here and they are waiting for the host." She walked toward the party.

Tommy took a drag, "I know Ada's here."

"You are so fucking boring." She said, before slamming the door.

    "So what do you want me to say to 'er?" Ada asked her brother once he finally slipped back in to the party.

Tom stood with his sister, "Just talk to her. No one can get through to her. Tell her i had no choice."

"Not even Mags." Ada asked, concerned. Maybe Pol and Maggie weren't always on the best terms — especially recently — but her aunt always valued her children's words.

The Shelby man scoffed, "Margaret? Come on, Ada. She doesn't care." He muttered.

Ada didn't respond to that. She glared at him before she saw the same concern in his eyes as her own and softened her gaze.

This was the worst Ada had seen in a while. Tom and Pol were each other's other half. They understood each other. They were honest and the other's word always matter to the latter. She walked into the golden pub and saw Polly laughing loudly — and drunkly — at one of Lovelocks awful jokes. And then she left her as soon as Tommy approached.

She nodded as he spoke, "I appreciate this."

As Ada and Tommy split ways, Maggie had found someone to talk to. Carissa was with Esme and the other older kids that joined, as well as Karl.

The man's name was James and he was brilliant to talk to — or maybe that's the drink speaking for her. He made her laugh — or maybe it was the many lines of cocaine making her giggle loudly.