02 || Mission

Aki woke up early to start his mission. 

As usual, he poured himself a cup of coffee and did his morning routine. 

Then, he headed out on his mission.

He walked around the city of Tokyo, acutally visiting places the target killed the devils. Aki realized that the location the devils were killed in happened in a small range, meaning the target doesn't move around that much and focuses on a certain range and spot. So this is not any secret organization killing devils in groups. It's an indivisual person.

Aki chose a perfect place to wait for the target to appear. It was in the middle of the range. He entered the nearest cafe and looked out the window cautiously.

A few hours later, screams were heard. Aki stood up abruptly, as the costumers in the cafe were all confused, trying to look outside the window.

"IT'S A DEVIL!!!"

"RUN!!"

"THIS WAY!!"

There was a sound of a big explosion and bright light appeared. Aki widened his eyes. The document he got from Makima said that the target killed devils with explosions. Reports said that there was a huge explosion along with a bright light. This was it. He was certain he found the target. His predection was right. The target appeared in this range.

"Shit," Aki mumbled as he ran the oppisite direction of the crowd of citizens running. There were a lot of people running and it took quite a time to get to the devil. He managed to get out the crowd but...

The devil was already on the ground, burnt to death.

He saw a figure leave the sight silently. He quickly ran after it.

The target, sensing that it was being followed, left the scene in a second.

Aki didn't miss every single move and chased after it.

"Hey," Aki called out so it can hear. "Did you kill the devil?"

It was a few minutes after chasing and they have come to an dead end. The target was panting, but Aki was not that out of breath.

"What if I said yes," a feminine voice was heard. A girl?

"Well, I'll have to bring you in and ask plenty of ques-"

Before Aki could finish his sentence, the girl attacked and Aki easily dodged the explosion. It was like she was not aiming him...?

"That suit... Are you a Devil Hunter?"

"Yes..."

"Go away, I hate you guys,"

"..." Aki stood in silence. 

"I said go," The girl repeated, but Aki stayed in his spot.

"GO!" The girl yelled and attack but this time, it clearly missed Aki. Was she doing this on purpose?

Aki then completely understood that this girl can't kill humans. She doesn't have the courage to.

He stared at her face, which was covered up in a hood but the wind from the explosion made her face visible for a second. He didn't miss that moment and it was awfully familiar but Aki brushed it off. It looked like she was about his age. Her face clearly showed fear and she was trying to stay strong.

"Look, I might be a Devil Hunter but I'm not your enemy. I'm rather thankful for you that you're killing devils," Aki tried to calm the girl down.

"I'm not doing it for you guys," The girl replied, giving up on attacking him.

"Who are you doing it for?" Aki asked.

"...I need money. To live." The girl said, looking down.

"I see. I'm Aki by the way. And I want you to follow me to a safe place."

The girl's shoulders moved a bit when she heard 'Aki'.

"...Aki?"

"Yeah?"

"No, forget it."

Aki was in confusion but he wanted to bring the girl in to Makima.

"Will you follow me?" Aki asked again.

"To where?"

"Devil Hunter's HQ."

"The f*ck? Why do I gotta go to a place where trash is swarming around. I just said I hate Devil Hunters. Why do I have to go to their HQ?"

"Stop calling us trash," Aki mumbled. "You kill devils, we kill devils. We have things in common. So you have to come with me to keep in track."

"I HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON WITH-" The girl stopped yelling when she finally met eyes with Aki.

"I-" She lost words as she looked into Aki's eyes. Awfully familair. 

"Please," Aki stared into her eyes seriously.

"Fine, but if you try to kill me, I'll kill you," The girl was hesitant and cautious.

"Deal," Aki responded and he walked off, the girl following a good distance away.

(Not edited)

Aug. 18, 2023