Hold me

Sometimes all you need is loving arms around you. No words, no noise, no thoughts. Just the sacred embrace of your beloved one.

You were feeling down today, no particular reason. Depression just bit you on the ass sometimes, making you feel gloomy and low energy with no appetite or motivation. And the only thing that could pick you up in times like this were the gentle embraces of your lover. L wasn't the best at words when it came to love. But boy did he know how to use actions.

You found him going through some case files, and like the absolute motion detector camera he is, he immediately felt your presence in the room behind him.

"Hello, you've left bed I see?" He said, putting a stack of files aside.

You sighed, and immediately that caught his attention and he knew something was wrong. He turned to face you and saw the state you were in. Eyebags almost as bad as his, exhausted expression and messy hair. Still in pyjamas and overall defeated. He gave you a sympathetic look and walked up to you, putting a gentle touch on your arms.

"You ok?" He asked.

You just hugged him, and he pulled you into his warm embrace, gently rubbing your back. You didn't have to say anything, he just knew. He's seen you like this before, and he knew a sudden gloomy hug meant you were just emotionally drained and feeling like shit.

"I know honey, I know..." he muttered, kissing your forehead.

"Cuddle" is all you said, wanting to just relish in his contact comfort.

He sat you both down on the couch, letting you rest your head against him and giving you a loving squeeze.

"Want to talk? Or just recharge?" He asked.

"Recharge" you replied.

"Ok, I know I kind of suck at comforting with words but if you want to talk later, I'm here"

The fact he listened and tried his best was enough for you, and his hugs were more than enough to make you feel better. You rested your head on his chest, listening to his heart beating and breathing in the sweet baked goods smell that always attached to his shirt after baking something. He ran his hands through your hair, simply letting you exist within his embrace.

L was never great with words. He was very eloquently spoken, analytical even. But when it came to expressing feelings? He was lost. But actions, he knew how to use actions. Maybe it was the extensive knowledge on body language he had. But he was a master at a gentle touch, a warm hug, a loving kiss on the cheek. He knew when you needed him, his hand to hold to shoulder to cry on. You could have whole conversation without a single word spoken, only a few actions to convey a whole conversation.

He had a lot of empathy in him, he was just horrible at articulating it. He could never form the words to express it, but the way he looked at you, and held you close told you he understood. He knew how you felt and he wanted you to feel better.

"Distraction?" He asked.

You nodded against him, wanting your mind off the gloom. A distraction he could do. He may not be the best at words but boy could he talk, and he had the nicest voice for it too.

"You know what I hate for no reason at all? Those musk stick lollies you get in party mix bags. Regular musk sticks? They're fine. The pink ones are great actually. But I guess the formula must be different for the party mix packs because they just don't taste right? Like they're kind of flour-y and crumble in your mouth rather than squish. Ugh, gross" he rambled.

You snickered. That's such an L thing to say, of course he has options in the type of musk stick lollies.

"I don't really like jelly lollies either, strawberry and cream drops are fine, and so a milk bottles. But the fruit drops with the goop in the middle? They don't taste right. Not sweet enough. And the texture is so... odd? Probably because of that softer centre" he continued.

"How very autistic of you" you joked.

"It probably is actually... a sensory thing. Oddly I do like the watermelons and cola bottles though. They're the right consistency and flavour. Not the sour ones, the regular ones. Who invented sour lollies? That's just wrong. They're meant to be sweet"

Just listening to his voice was soothing enough, but laying in his arms made it feel so much more comforting and intimate. Getting your mind off all the doom and gloom with long rants about nothing important always worked, you'd listen to him for hours and comment on his musings. Until eventually you'd forget what had you down and you'd be eager to get up and do something with him. Even something simple like run some errands or make dinner.

"Some people really like sour stuff though" you replied.

"Maniacs. All of them" he replied.

You snickered, feeling him twirl your hair around his fingers as he talked.

"And who in their right minds made savoury pies? They're meant to be a dessert! Australians are insane for making meat pies, what kind of- I mean come on?! Pies are meant to be fruit and cinnamon and sugar and stuff. An apple pie, a berry pie, but a meat one? How his meat sweet to anyone?" He ranted.

Oh L and his sweet things. So very passionate and defensive of them.

"You're a sugar addict" you said.

"Maybe I am, but the sweetest thing I've ever tasted it you my dear. It's hard not to be addicted to that"

You playfully rolled your eyes, what a suck up.

He could be really sweet and caring when no one else was around to see it. You were special to him, only you got to see the softer side of him. The way he dropped everything just to come cuddle you and make you feel better was proof enough of that. He was truly the best man you could ever ask for.