Chapter 52: Shu Younger Brother

Начните с самого начала

Gu Hui Yan shook his head and smiled, but did not reply. Lin Wei Xi with great difficulty finished the drink, took the kerchief from Wan Xing's hand, and gently wiped the water stains on her lips. When Gu Hui Yan saw that she had tidy up, he let people passed on the meal.

Although it was annual leave from the twenty-third of the twelfth month to the seventeenth of the first month, Gu Hui Yan had a different status. He was both the commander of 100,000 army and the auxiliary minister of the court. Even if he did not go out, there were many things that come to him. Not to mention the New Year was approaching, so there were many people walking through the gate. After Gu Hui Yan spent lunch with Lin Wei Xi, he didn't sit for long and then went to the front to deal with some business.

After Gu Hui Yan left, Lin Wei Xi had to do her own thing. These past few days, it was not only Gu Hui Yan who was busy, she, the Yan Wangfei, was also up to her neck busy. Many people came to visit before the end of the year, and the daily gifts in the gatehouse were piled up. At the end of the year, officials from other provinces had to go to the capital to report on their duties. Many of these gifts were sent by officials from various provinces. Although most people couldn't even enter the mansion, Lin Wei Xi couldn't let these gifts stay idly by. If there was nothing to asked, who would actually give gifts? Especially Yan Wang's status was delicate now. It was not a good thing for an emperor's uncle, who leads the troops to save the country, to be too conspicuous. Lin Wei Xi was not a shallow-eyed person. She didn't care about the silver sent from outside, she cared more about the stability and longevity of Yan Wang Mansion.

Therefore, these gifts were handled with particular care. If they were too precious, it shouldn't be accepted, and some gifts from the household that had friendly relations also could not be casually accepted. Lin Wei Xi must prepare a suitable and slightly more precious gift in return, with a group of servants to deliver to the other side's house. In this way, it was extremely exhausting to process the gift list alone every day.

Lin Wei Xi was considering the return gift for the capital magistrate when she suddenly heard an announcement from the outside. A maid with two buns hairstyle stood outside the curtain and said, "Wangfei, Duke Yingguo Mansion old madam and lady are here."

"Duke Yingguo Mansion?" Lin Wei Xi was stunned when she heard the name. She quickly recovered and asked, "I didn't receive the calling card from Duke Yingguo Mansion yesterday. Did the gatekeeper miss it?"

"It's not that the gatekeeper missed it." The maid stepped forward and handed over the calling card and said, "This is the card from Duke Yingguo Mansion."

Lin Wei Xi asked Wan Xing to pick up the calling card. After she got it, Lin Wei Xi knew what was going on without having to read it.

A household who had some status, whether visiting relatives or friends, always send a calling card to the other side's gate one or two days in advance. First, it was to respect the host and let the host have time to prepare. Second, it was also to show their etiquette. Each family's calling card was carefully prepared, and an experienced housewife could guess which household it was by just looking at the card. However, to not say a word in advance and went directly to the door on the same day, actually there were very few people who would do that. Even if a married women returned to her maiden house, she would send someone back to say something in advance, and she would never come directly.

It was undoubtedly a bit rude of Duke Yingguo Mansion to do this. If the present mistress was Gao Ran, then she would not say anything. It was her own family, naturally more relax. But now the mistress was Lin Wei Xi, Gao Ran's mother-in-law, Duke Yingguo Mansion dared to be so impolite with their in-laws, if it weren't for them going insane, then it must be because something happened suddenly, too anxious to pay attention.