Chapter twenty-eight

Start from the beginning

I've never wanted him to feel something less.

—-

Izuku POV

Hito and I let the silence ring between us, waiting silently for the other shoe to drop as we each undoubtedly knew that it would. Luck was never on the side of children like us, it never would be. That was a lesson that we both had learned early in life, much too early for a child to know.

The other shoe dropped only a minute or two later in the form of the hospital room door opening, pushed open by a stranger coming into the room from out in the hall.

The man wore a tan coat that cascaded around his body as if it was a protective shield, though I knew from looking at him that it had no connection to his quirk. The piece of clothing was just one of those things that people wore as if it were armor. There was a hard look on the man's undeniably tired face even as he tried to school his features into something softer. I knew just exactly what this man was long before he ever introduced himself, I could see it in the way that he carried himself. It made my body go cold, alarm bells ringing in my mind once more.

Following the man was a strange sight in itself, something that was just enough to stop my breathing from going out of control once more. The creature was small, but held an air about him that was just different from that of the man before him. It was the air of someone with power that used it in a different way from that of the adult in the room, to build rather than capture and imprison. The creature was a chimera, holding aspects of multiple animals about him though he was not just one of them. He was dressed in a small suit that fit the stature of the creature, a scar running down the left side of his face that told me just how kind life had been to him as well.

While he was interesting, the chimera wasn't my concern right now, not even as he stared at me with an intelligence that no mortal being should have.

"Detective," I called out in a piss poor greeting that would make my mother question where she went wrong in raising me (though that same could be said for so many things about my character so I didn't dwell on the idea too much), taking the first words of what was sure to prove to be an annoying conversation.

The man looked at me with a raised eyebrow, his expression schooling itself as he tried to hide his own surprise. It didn't work. "You know who I am?" He asked, trying to gouge the conversation as the chimera looked upon the scene with interest, Hito openly staring with the curiosity of someone that didn't know any better.

"No," I answered simply, watching as the words rang true within the detective's mind, a quirk of some sort I'm sure, "but it wasn't hard to guess."

He nodded, something that he didn't really seem to register that he was doing. "I'm Detective Tsukauchi," the man said, seeming to have collected himself. "I'm here to ask you a few questions," he explained.

I fixed the detective with a hard glare, my wrists silently throbbing in time with my furiously beating heart. "Without a parent or legal guardian present?" I asked, my just barely falling away from its normal monotone as it mocked the older man before me. "How crude of you."

The brown haired man looked at me as if I was already trying his patience, a fair assumption to make, but the chimera just laughed, loud and boisterous, as if the misfortunes of man was his favorite thing in the world, it quite likely might be so. "You're not being arrested," he said tiredly, a sigh forcing itself past his lips with little resistance that made me think of a certain pro hero just a bit too much for them to not know one another.

I could feel the other teen's eyes on me as he silently watched the interaction, drawing as little attention to himself as he could so as to not be removed from the room. I marched the detective's sigh with one of my own. "So what do you want to know?"