a note from the histories

In his work, Fire and Blood: A History of the Targaryen Dynasty, Archmaester Gyldayn briefly describes the fate of Johanna Swann, the lovely neice of Lord Erik Swann of Stonehelm. If he elaborated on her further, alas, it is lost in Ser George R.R. Martin's transcription of the tome. What remains is as follows:

"The avarice of Craghas Crabfeeder and his partners in conquest soon turned feelings against them, however; the toll was raised again, and yet again, soon becoming so ruinous that merchants who had once paid gladly now sought to slip past the galleys of the Triarchy as once they had the pirates (...) The Lyseni became especially loathed, for they claimed more than coin from passing ships, taking off women, girls, and comely young boys to serve in their pleasure gardens and pillow houses.
Amongst those thus enslaved was Lady Johanna Swann, a fifteen-year-old niece of the Lord of Stonehelm. When her (...) uncle refused to pay the ransom, she was sold to a pillow house, where she rose to become the celebrated courtesan known as the Black Swan, and ruler of Lys in all but name."

Many readers have rightfully wondered what became of House Swann after this event. We know from the histories that they supported King Aegon II in the Dance of the Dragons, and paid highly for it when the blacks came to power. What brings this writer to comment of House Swann is only in part Lord Erik Swann, part the tale of the Black Swan of Lys, and part a greater story of love, loss, and war dealt to House Swann in the Dance if the Dragons: It is the tale of Lady Elissa Swann, the legitimized bastard granddaughter of the Lord of Stonehelm, and it's sole heiress in the year 129 AC.

R., M. G. R. (2022). Fire & blood: 300 years before a Game of Thrones a targaryen history. BANTAM.