xxx. the quiet life

Start from the beginning

Aster slowly made her way up the steps to the cabin, smiling as she scanned her eyes over the wrap-around porch. The wood creaked under her foot with every step she took to the front door. Coming to a stop at the welcome mat beneath her feet, Aster took a deep breath. Curling one arm around her stomach, she raised the other, about to rap her knuckles against the door.

Before she could possibly knock, the door swung open. Not expecting it, Aster staggered back a step, retracting her hand and locking eyes with Tony.

His face had gained a few more wrinkles since the last time she saw him and his hair had begun to grey a bit, making Aster's chest hitch with the reminder that it wasn't just her that was growing up. That everyone else was getting older too. And she missed five years of time that she would never get back.

Tony didn't say anything, and neither did she for a moment. Finally, Aster swallowed hard and breathed, "Hi—"

Tony's expression crumpled and he stepped out of the door, engulfing her in his arms. Aster closed her eyes, resting her cheek against his chest as he held her tightly. Her arms snaked around his torso and she held onto the back of his jacket with a tight grip.

"Just let me hold you for a minute," he whispered into her hair, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. His heart was beating erratically against her ear.

Aster shut her mouth and hugged him even tighter.

After a moment, Tony pulled back and held her gently by her biceps. He pursed his lips and studied her with teary eyes. "You couldn't have woken up while I was there yesterday?"

Breathing out a laugh, Aster sniffled. "You know I like to make your life difficult."

He grinned and tugged her back into his arms, holding the back of her head. "Right. Well, it took you long enough."

"Oh, my god."

Aster peeked over Tony's shoulder and saw Pepper standing in the doorway, holding one hand over her heart and the other over the relieved smile on her face. She looked the same as always, though she was dressed in more comfortable clothes rather than the usual pencil skirt and heels. Just like Tony, her face had gained a few wrinkles as well.

Tony stepped away from Aster, but his hand slid from her hair to her back and stayed there as Pepper swept the teenagers into her arms. "Oh," Pepper let out, pressing a kiss to Aster's head. "How are you feeling, sweetheart?"

"I'm okay," Aster assured her, doing her best to smile. "I promise."

Pepper wiped away a tear as she released the teenager, nodding at Aster's words. "You're okay. Good, good. I'm putting together some lunch, why don't we go inside?"

Aster smiled and followed Pepper inside, with Tony following right behind them. Her eyes traveled around the woodsy interior of the cabin, impressed with the high ceilings and cozy environment. It was the opposite of what Tony's houses usually looked like.

Walking through the first doorway to the left, Pepper took her place behind the kitchen island and continued chopping vegetables like she must have been doing moments prior. Joining her side, Tony leaned over the island and squinted at the various salad ingredients. "Are these our gojis?"

Pepper shot him a look. "They are not."

"What's wrong with ours?"

"Your alpaca ate them all," Pepper said, making Tony let out a sad noise. "All of them."

Aster was standing there, wide-eyed and immensely confused. "I'm sorry, I think I misheard. Did you say alpaca?"

Tony smirked and rounded the island, coming up behind the teenager to whirl her around and point out the window. To Aster's surprise, there truly was an alpaca, standing in the backyard along with half a dozen chickens. Aster's lips parted in surprise and she murmured, "That was the last thing I expected to see ."