xxix. to live for the hope of it all

Start from the beginning

Aster's eyes strayed to the top right corner of the mirror, where a picture of her and Peter was stuck under the frame. She reached forward and grabbed it, holding it between her fingers to study it. M.J. had a Polaroid camera that they and the boys used to play around with, acting like every homework session was actually a photo shoot.

Rubbing her thumb over the border of the picture, Aster swallowed down a lump in her throat as she stared at Peter's dimpled smile. On any other day, it would fill her chest with butterflies. But today, it did nothing but break her heart.

Thanos' words echoed in her head like a cruel reminder. "You failed them, little one."

Pursing her lips, Aster slipped the photo into her sweatshirt pocket and sighed, turning to look at her bed. There was no way she'd be able to fall asleep anytime soon. Sweeping her long hair over one shoulder, Aster walked out of her room.

Quietly making her way down the dimly lit hallway, Aster slipped into the kitchen. She grabbed a glass and held it under the fridge faucet, filling the cup with ice and water.

"Can't sleep?"

Aster turned and saw Steve leaning against the door frame, with his arms crossed over his black t-shirt. His hair was slightly tousled and he had sweatpants on, making it clear that he must have been in bed moments ago. "Sorry, I was trying to be quiet."

Steve shook his head. "Didn't even hear you. Just had a hunch."

Taking a gulp of her water, Aster shrugged. "I've been asleep for 5 years. I think I've had enough rest."

It was supposed to be an attempt at making a joke, but the skin between Steve's eyebrows creased with worry. Familiar concern. He pushed himself off of the doorframe, taking a step toward her. "Are you sure you don't want me to call Tony tonight?"

Aster's eyes dropped to the glass in her hand. Steve and Natasha brought up the idea of calling him right away, but Aster didn't want to be a bother since it was already so late. With a toddler on their hands, Tony and Pepper probably didn't get enough sleep as it was. "No, it's okay. It's late." And I'm nervous to see the life they built without me.

She was relieved when Steve dropped the conversation. "Okay. I'll call in the morning."

It fell silent between them before Steve cleared his throat, tilting his head toward the door. "Do you want to sleep in Nat and I's room tonight?"

Aster picked up her head and stared at him, not expecting those words to come out of his mouth. Clearly, a lot had changed between them in the last seven years since she had truly seen them last. He smiled. "I know you don't like being alone at night."

"Yeah," Aster murmured. "Is Nat okay with it?"

Steve chuckled. "She sent me out here to get you."

Aster smiled, following him out of the kitchen. As they strolled down the hallway of the Compound, Steve bumped Aster's shoulder with his own. She stumbled to the side and held her arm with a faux groan of pain, making him roll his eyes playfully.

When they reached the room, Steve pushed the door open, placing a hand on Aster's back to let her walk in first. Natasha smiled when she saw the seventeen-year-old walk in, placing her book down to pat the covers at her side.

When Aster was little, she only had a few things to look forward to. Her favorite nights were the ones when Natasha was back from her assignments, and they would have a girls' sleepover.

They hadn't had one in a long time. And even though Steve was there for this one, Aster couldn't deny that she was a little excited.

Natasha pulled back the covers and allowed Aster to crawl underneath them. Steve chuckled when the brunette took up plenty of room in the middle of the mattress, pulling the covers up to her chin. He climbed in after her, surprisingly still having room thanks to the size of the bed.