01

"checkmate."

"and the winner is, yours truly, Avery Vera!"

"Avery Serenity Morales Vera, with high honors"

i always win.

"and another win for Villanueva High School thanks to miss Avery Vera!"

"Avery Vera, Best in Math and Science. SCB Auditor, Conduct and Deportment Awardee. Highest honors"

"Avery Serenty! give a round of applause for our reigning queen for two years!"

but there's one thing i cant win.

his heart.

In the game of love, I made a bold move, sacrificing my heart like a pawn, hoping to capture your affection, but instead, I found myself trapped in a checkmate of unrequited love, where every move I made only led to more pain and heartache, as the pieces of my shattered heart scattered across the chessboard of our broken dreams.

When you find yourself entangled in the intricate web of love, it's like stepping onto a chessboard where every move carries the risk of falling and hurting yourself, as the pieces of your heart are vulnerable to the unpredictable strategies of affection, leaving you exposed to the painful consequences of misplaced trust and unrequited emotions

In the dazzling world of beauty pageants, where dreams are spun like delicate webs of hope, falling in love becomes a treacherous tightrope walk, for behind the radiant smiles and shimmering gowns lies a painful truth - that love, like a fragile glass sculpture, shatters into a million shards, leaving only heartache and tears in its wake.

In love and chess and pageants, sometimes the most painful moves are the ones we never make.

"Avi, tutunganga ka lang ba jaan? tara na! ma-le-late ka na sa pageant mo!"

"Vin, parang ayoko na um-atend. nakaka sawa din kaya no! tsaka..ang sakit na ng cheeks ko kaka practice to smile ko." i pouted a little. my cheeks were really hurting!

"you've been practicing your walk for days..you even skipped meals. you didn't do it all for nothing did you?" pag saway nya sakin habang inaayos ang gown ko.

it was always like this. he always seemed to care. i mean, yeah, im his bestfriend. he should care. but, you know how it goes, if you like someone, even the littlest things...you think it has a meaning. i think we can all relate to that.

on the way to the pageant, nag drive through muna sila mommy. tatlo lang kami ngayon. ako, si mommy, at si Vin. bale, kasama na din si kuya ronald. driver namin.

the nerve to eat a big mac infront of me!

"sabi mo kasi ayaw mo eh!" he defended himself. his mouth was even full!

"here, Avery. you can have some fries." pag-alok saakin ni mommy.

"mommy! i can't eat!"

"eh, bakit ka nagagalit na nag order kami?!"

"kasi natatakam ako, cockroach!"

"ako?! sa gwapo kong to?!" he pointed to his face. "jusko, Avi! ang pila para saakin umabot pa sa Japan! sige, mukha ang ipis sa ganon?"

you know, sometimes i just cant stand him.

that's one of the reasons why i like him.

"hi! im Vienna Dizon." biglang may lumapit saakin na babae.

"hi, Avery Vera-"

"oh i know! im a big fan! i watch all of the live streams that you won." she sounded so excited! how cute!