Chapter 1: The Invitation

5 days later...

Walter has already sent out invitation letters to each resident in town. One by one, the envelopes opened and the people in Springfield would read the invitation. Even you, read the letter.

I cordially invite you to a Halloween Masquerade Ball at my Castle Manor. Food and drinks will be provided. The party will be inside the living room and the ballroom. My maids and my butler will assist you upon arrival. Please dress up and wear a masquerade mask for the theme of the party. The party will start at 6pm on Halloween. See you soon. Sincerely yours, Count Bob

"A party? That sounds really fun! Hmm, it does sound fishy. Who is Count Bob?" You folded up the letter and heard a knock on your front door. You went up to the door and opened it. "Hello? Oh, Lisa, hi." Your friend Lisa Simpson lived next door to you. You both knew each other since high school and after graduation, she has been busy with her new job and her college classes. From time to time, you were able to have a girls night. "What brings you here this early? Aren't you supposed to go to college?"

"Yeah, I was but I wanted to check up on you to see if you have the same letter that was delivered to me. I heard a neighbor next door to me reading it out loud."

"Oh, this? Yeah, Count Bob is hosting a Halloween Masquerade Ball. It sounds exciting but fishy to me because why was this sent out randomly to us? Why are we eligible for it?"

"I am asking myself that same question. I suppose it's because it is a new and big event. My college is hosting a party like that but without it being formal. I will think about going. Just be careful if you are going."

"I'll go. I like to get a vibe check with the party. Want to hangout later tonight?"

"If I am not busy, sure. I don't mind. I have a short class today about politics and I need to go shopping. Tomorrow, I have to go to my job at noon."

"That is perfectly reasonable, I have to go early at my job today. Hopefully on Halloween, we won't work."

"Hahahaha!" Lisa laughed in her hand. "I have a day off on Halloween."

"Lucky you. I just hope my job gives me a day off."

"We will just have to wait and see. Anyway, I better get going. I will see you later. Bye!" Lisa waved off before walking back to her house.

🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇

After drinking coffee and eating breakfast, you made your way to your job. You worked at the mall which was always something that you wanted to do. All the way down to the right section, you worked at a big clothing store called Stacy's. Your job was to dress up the mannequins with the latest fashion and hang up new clothes on the racks. You noticed a lot of women were coming in, looking around for dresses. The men were coming in to find a fancy suit, tie, and vest. You knew that it had something to do with the invitation. "Shoot, I need that beanie hat with the pumpkin on it. I could have sworn that I had it with me." You clicked your tongue and rolled your eyes. You carried the old clothes from the mannequin you were working on and marched over down the aisles only to bump into someone.

"Ow! Jeez, watch where you're going!" A man said as he rubbed his head.

"Sorry, Sir. I was trying to-" You spotted sunglasses on the ground and picked them up. As you did, you looked at the gentleman that you bumped into. "... Bart? Is that you?"

"(Y/N)? Give me those!" Bart snatched his sunglasses out of your hands and put them back on. "Yeah, it's me. Don't tell my sister that I was here. I just need to buy something nice to wear."

"Why?"

Bart reached down to help you get off the floor. "Because I hate for her to worry and ask where I'm at. I am getting ready for this new, unexpected party this Halloween."

"You got the invitation, too?"

"Not really, no. Question, did you and my sister get one?"

"Yeah but she is debating-"

"Good! Let her decide, hopefully she doesn't go. It's sketchy and I have a bad feeling about it."

"Do you know what's going on then?"

Bart scratched the back of his head. He didn't want to say much. "I sort of do but I hate to jump on the assumption wagon with all the possibilities. My only guess is that it's a trick. Got to love pranks on Halloween." He laughed nervously, hoping that you wouldn't catch his lie.

"Hmmm," you squinted at him but shrugged. "You could be right on that. I bet it's Nelson. He is such a jerk."

"Tell me about it. Some days we're cool, some days we aren't. I better get going. It was nice seeing ya and please be safe." Bart took off towards the men's clothing section.

You picked up the clothes you dropped and headed towards the back room of the store. "He was acting really strange. I wonder what is up with Bart?"