Wounded - Part One

Start from the beginning

With the news on TV, she had heard about the death of Jason's friend, Patrick McKinney. Given the reports, it was obvious that Vecna had killed him too. She knew she had been lucky. She was the first victim and thanks to a combinaison of circumstances which Fred and Patrick hadn't benefited from, she was the only survivor of the attacks of Vecna. She had learnt what had happened to them. All their bones snapped like straw, their eyes gouged out. Oh God, she had avoided this awful fate.

She had learnt, few days after, the death of Vecna. Nancy, Robin and Steve had made sure of it, with Molotov cocktails and gunshots. Max had been saved. El could have closed the three gates. His plan had failed. Hawkins and its inhabitants had been saved by a handful of brave heroes.

The curse of Hawkins was over. That would be the story which people would remember. All was well that ended well. Life would go on... In appearance only. In truth, the recent events had hurted a lot of people. The Benson and the McKinney families were still in mourning their dead sons. She had been blinded and Eddie had been seriously injured too.

He had wanted to help them. With Dustin, he had decoyed the flying creatures away from the Creel house, where Vecna had been hiding in the Upside Down. And after, he had lured them again, away from Dustin and the gate. Surrounded by the swarm, he had been overpowered and pinned to the ground by them.

Those fucking critters had carried out a frenzied attack on him. They had severly wounded him, on his chest, his shoulders, his left hand. Dustin managed to the first aid and with Steve, Nancy and Robin helping, they had gone out the alternate dimension and led him to the hospital.

Doctors had stabilized his state but they couldn't have done anything for his hand. It was too damaged. They had amputated him and transfered him in a bigger hospital in Indianapolis, which was the most likely to treat his other wounds. During weeks after, Eddie had undergone surgerys, skin graftings on his abdomen and physical therapy. He had come back to Hawkins for three weeks and since, it was radio silence.

She was laying on her bed, in her room, thinking about Eddie. No one had news of him. Seemingly, he didn't pick up the phone, nor open his door to his friends and prefered keep himself to himself. Everyone seemed to accept that. She imagined he wasn't fine and the thought that she had to do something for that tormented her.

She wanted to see him and apologize. Maybe that was some kind of self-centred concern, but she felt guilty for what had happened to him. He had lost his hand, because of her. If she wouldn't have been there, if she wouldn't have come to him to buy drugs, he wouldn't have been implicated in all this story. His body would be unharmed and Eddie would be still living his peaceful life.

She heard a noise, which didn't come from the audiobook. Someone were knocking to her door. She grabbed her Walkman and looked for the pause button.

<< God damn the fellow ! Damn his smiling face, his brisk "Yes, sir." Liar and hypocrite ! Stealer of another man's wife ! It had gathered slowly, that col. >>

She removed her headphones, put the Walkman and her headphone on her night table and sat on the mattress. She grabbed the sunglasses on her night table and put them on. Not that she needed them in her room, but she knew her eyes could disturb the most of people. By the way they had to talk to her, she had percieved that they avoided to look at her or to meet her gaze when she wasn't wearing her sunglasses to hide it.

'' Come in. ''

She heard the little click of the doorknob and footsteps in the room.

'' Hi Chrissy ! ''

'' Hello Chrissy. ''

By the always happy tone and the little lisp of the first One re and the deeper voice and the calm speech of the second one, Chrissy immediatly recognized Dustin and Steve. She smiled.