Deep breath in.

This feels surreal.

A shy smile creeps its way to my face as I tilt my chin up a bit, leaning into her caress and breathing out a light laugh of disbelief.

"I cried myself to sleep, I probably look like I had an allergic reaction."

Wren hums a low chuckle, lips curling upwards, forming those smile lines and one visible dimple on the cheek I can see, eyes twinkling.

"I still think you look like the most gorgeous woman alive."

She better stop talking to me like that or else I will deadbolt my bedroom door shut. I won't be able to get anything done. Either that or I'll just simply die from cardiac arrest.

"You're too sweet to me," I sigh out, eyes tracing over every feature of her face, not wanting to forget a single inch of it, making sure this image of waking up by her side is ingrained to my memory forevermore.

"Would you rather I be mean to you in the morning? Because I could mention your morning breath, but I refrained from doing so."

My heart soars as I break out in laughter, covering my mouth as it falls to a giggle, "Much better. Do I really have bad morning breath?"

Wren giggles with me, the sounds of our laughter mixing together like the perfect harmony.

"No, you don't. Do I?" She shimmies closer to me and breathes, making me scrunch up my nose and playfully swat her away, both of us settling back on the pillows, the morning feeling light and airy.

"I've smelt worse. You should smell Olivia's morning breath. Absolutely disgusting."

The woman beside me snorts and looks down at the now oddly quiet cats, raising an eyebrow at the youngest.

"I could only imagine."

When she lays back down, we just look at each other. She moves her hand back to my cheek, thumb brushing up on me, blue eyes dancing with flecks of gold, our breathing falling in sync with each other.

"Thank you for staying last night," I whisper, fully meaning every single word.

If she didn't stay, I wouldn't have been able to sleep, I probably would've gone crazy being alone last night, but her being here, holding me, humming the Friends theme song every time a new episode played, lulled me right into my slumber.

And the expected nightmare never came.

It was as if she were the knight fighting off the demons, keeping my enemies at bay, protecting the gates so that I could sleep soundly. But she didn't even have to move to do so, just her being here did that, her holding me, kissing the top of my head.

"You don't have to thank me. I was glad to do so. Whenever you need me, I'll be here, I promise."

There she goes again, being all sweet on me. It's something I never really experienced. Sure, I've had nice boyfriends in the past, but none of them and their sweet nothings made me feel like this, made me feel like I could do anything, conquer anything, but Wren does. She makes me feel as though even though the whole world hates me right now, I'm still at the top of her list.

And that feels like a victory.

A battle won.

No matter how battered and bruised I get or who steps on me or who runs my name through the dirt, it was and is all worth it when I get to have her to wake up to, to share these private moments, to be held by, to be seen by.

And we've only just begun.

Tom was sweet and kind, but that was a losing game right from the start. He was a distraction, from Wren, from Adam. As cruel as it is, he was a rebound from Adam and the pawn in the chess game of hiding my feelings from the woman currently in my bed.