Chapter 5: The Forest of Dean

Start from the beginning

Harry nodded, staring at the ground. He still felt strangely panicky.

"Good man," Lakey said, relieved. "This case is going to be important-not just for Hermione, but for the Ministry. We pushed through a lot of reforms after the war. Now we're in the backlash. People think we took things too far." He rubbed at his beard tiredly. "You and I both know there's still plenty of hostility towards Muggles and Muggle-borns in this country. This case will serve as a precedent in the years to come, I know it."

Finally, Harry voiced the fear that had been coiling in his chest since morning.

"John, do you...do you worry you're putting a target on Hermione's back? She's an incredible prosecutor, we both know that. But to put her out in the open on this case? When she's a Muggle-born? When the public mood could easily tip in Callahan's favor?"

Lakey gave him a searching look. "I'm surprised to hear you worry about the politics of a case. You've supported her more controversial ones in the past."

"They were not like this," he said lowly. "This is an Auror, a respected Auror. Like it or not, Callahan didn't say anything in his interrogation that a lot of wizards don't already believe. And with the causes Hermione's championed-exchange programmes, intergovernmental consultations, not to mention house-elf liberation-they haven't always been well-received..."

Harry wasn't sure why he was talking like this.

"Harry," said Lakey firmly, "this sort of change isn't easy, but that doesn't mean we stop fighting for it, does it? I'll be damned if I sideline any counselor in my department for fear of the politics of a situation. That includes Hermione. She's more than capable of defending herself."

But then, the older wizard's eyes trailed to the ground. "She wasn't my first choice for this case, though. I was planning to take lead myself, but she insisted. This is the one she's been waiting for. It's unfortunate it deals so directly with your Department."

"I don't care about that," he said viciously. "I care about her. I won't see her pilloried in the media. She's given too much to have it spat back in her face..."

Lakey grinned. "You shouldn't worry about Hermione's popularity, Harry. The Department of Magical Law Enforcement has been unpopular for a very long time. As Hermione rises in the ranks, she'll undoubtedly face criticism. Let that be her choice. Besides," he said, turning towards the exit, "Minister Shacklebolt is behind us on this. With your support too, Hermione might not face much of a backlash."

Harry nodded faintly, quieted for now.

"So, take her to lunch," said Lakey. "Help her relax. Your Department can manage without you for a day?"

He nodded. "I thought we'd be gone much later than this. I left instructions with my staff."

"Wonderful," Lakey beamed, back to his jovial self as he and Harry approached the desk with the two young counselors. "A little...perspective is all Hermione needs right now."

Harry found her outside. She was sitting on a bench, arms wrapped around her middle. The air was crisp with the onset of autumn, the leaves already changing in surrounding hillsides, though the grass was a deep, luxuriant green.

"Hey," he said as he approached.

She turned and put on a tight smile. "Hey."

He sat down next to her and released a long sigh.

"I'm sorry for storming out," she said after a pause. "I reckoned there was no point talking to him just then."

"You were fine."

Another closed-lip smile. "Where's John?"

"He disapparated five minutes ago. He said you have the rest of the day off and suggested we get lunch."