11. A Nefarious Goat Sells Tanks

Start from the beginning

The crowds for the morning came by easily, but once lunchtime started it got incessantly crowded inside the restaurant.

It wasn't anything I haven't seen before, however the people within the building seemed much more negative than the past. Tense air hung over the atmosphere of the fairly-loud building.

Or maybe I was just being paranoid.

Noting some dirty tables, I let Xianniang know that I was going to clean them before leaving the safety of the counter.

I felt eyes bore into my back as I put plates and cups into their trays and wiped tables. Nothing that was murmured around processed in my mind, but somehow my gut said that it was about me.

As I became more anxious about my surroundings, the building felt small and overcrowded— more than before. I forced myself to take deep breaths, warily strengthening my grip on the trays so I wouldn't drop them. Dropping them would lead to catastrophe— I could only imagine all the possible outcomes.

I vigilantly weaved through people in a rush to get back towards the counter, hoping to enter the kitchen to get a quick reset.

'This is like— no. I can't get anxious right now.' The counter came closer, thought it oddly longer. 'I still have to help Xianniang.'

A crashing sound snapped me out of my daze.

'That came from me, didn't it.' I thought in dread, looking towards the floor.

"I'm sorry!" A middle-aged woman exclaimed, "My elbow must've hit the tray.."

It took me a few shallow breaths to realize that I should reply to her worries.

"Don't worry ma'am, I'll clean it up." I said. Ah, maybe I should've smiled to ease her worries? Like how he eased mine.

I moved the trays into my dominant hand and quickly bent my knees to pick up a large shard, but winced as sharp edge cut at my palm. My face felt hot, and I was probably sweating as I hastily put the one shard onto the tray and stood up.

"Th— there is broken glass here." I shakily said to the quiet customers who glanced at the scene. "Please be careful as I grab, uhm, cleaning supplies."

The murmurs began again, and I felt my chest tighten. All the walls and people seemed too close for comfort, and I felt the something press against my body despite nothing being there. My wrist felt sore, my hair disheveled, and my eyelids heavy.

I flinched as the door to the kitchen opened too loudly, and tried to say an apology— but nothing but air fell past my lips.

"(Y/N)?" Xianniang said, pausing her cooking on the frying pan as I shakily placed the trays onto the closest surface. "Are you okay?"

I let out a choked breath at the question. My eyes began to burn, like the palm of my hand.

"I—" I shuddered, "I broke a glass. Middle... uhm, middle of the room. I'm s— sorry."

Her eyebrows knitted in worry, and she gently pulled me away from the door.

"It's alright." She said, her voice soft as she patted down my hair.