Chapter Thirteen: Mystic Meadows

Start from the beginning

"Not bad. Thank you," I smiled.

"More like, Cedrica the so-so..." Ember commented.

Well, that's just rude. And very harsh. Jeez, it's almost hard to believe she's a parent. Sophus then found the Family wand.

"What is that?" Sophus asked smiling.

"Ah, yes. My most prized and powerful possession. Our family wand," Ember said taking it out of the glass case, "handcrafted by my great, great grand sorceress and passed down from mother to daughter."

"So when do you give it to Miss Cedrica?"

"She's not ready to use such a powerful wand."

Okay, I've had just about enough of him.

"Yes, she is, Miss 'Sorceress of the Year!'" I said annoyed.

"Yes. Well, look what she did to the front door," Ember said pointing to the jellybeans Wade had in a bowl, "And that was with an ordinary, off-the-shelf wand."

"Maybe if you gave Cedrica a chance to use the family wand, she might change your mind!"

"I might," Cedrica said while also giving me a look telling me to stop.

I don't care what Cedrica says, I don't appreciate how Ember is treating her child. It's disgusting behavior. After a lot of hesitation, Ember let Cedrica use the wand after telling her to do the best spell she knew. After some thinking, Cedrica offered to make her the best witch hat she ever wore. Cedrica was preparing to do the spell when Ember started the whole how-Cedrica-should-do-it routine. She was doing quite fine on her own.

As she started the spell, Ember interrupted again! I mean, it made a perfectly good hat. But she spoke too fast so I can't tell if she said the spell right or not. I only think she might've because you don't say spells as fast as Cedrica did. Well, I was right. The spell did go wrong because the hat seemed to have a mind of its own. Cedrica tried to think of a reverse spell but she couldn't think of the right one. I said the right one and the hat disappeared. I know why Cedrica couldn't think of the right spell. She was under pressure.

"You see? She's not ready. And I'm not sure she ever will be," Ember said taking the wand from Cedrica.

"But, mother, if you hadn't interrupted me..."

"I was trying to help you do it right," Ember interrupted.

"Oh, you're interrupting again!"

"And you clearly didn't listen!"

"But..."

Ember left to find a spell to fix the door. I did it myself because of how annoyed I was. But Ember wasn't there to see it. At least Wade still thought Cedrica was a good sorceress. As much as I'm annoyed at Ember, I feel bad for Cedrica. She's really trying her best but Ember isn't convinced that she is. So, Cedrica started emotionally eating jellybeans. It's hard to see Cedrica like this. All the effort she's put into being a sorceress and to impress her mother just seems to be put to waste.

If only her mother could see how great she really is. But Sophus had an idea. He suggested entering the Conjuring contest with me, Sophus, Cedrica, and Ember as a team. And when Ember sees that Cedrica's magic helps us win the contest, she will finally be given the family wand. It's a great idea but Cedrica didn't agree knowing that Ember would just interrupt her. Not while we're around. I took the jellybeans away and we helped her off the sofa. She's not getting anything done while in this state.

Ember came back with the door spell but saw I already beat her to it. Sophus said that the three of us would be joining Ember in the contest. Not that she liked the idea. But only agreed because she was going to be doing the conjuring. That woman is stubborn. So, we went to the contest. Wade would give each team a riddle to solve and we'd have to conjure up the answer with no help from spellbooks, potions, or summoning of spirits from the Netherworld.

I didn't even think that was possible. Not that I want to try it. The other team went first. They answered the riddle right. Now a riddle for us. 'It starts out a creepy, crawly, little guy, then sprouts beautiful wings that allow it to fly.' That's a good one but it's very easy. A butterfly. Of course, it could always be a moth. They do the same thing and some moth wings are beautiful. But the answer was butterfly.

Ember went to conjure one but I took her wand claiming it was beautiful.

This gave Cedrica the opportunity to conjure one instead. And it was perfect! Ember congratulated Cedrica on getting it right and we moved on. The next riddle for the other team was wrong. They answered a clock but it was really a coo-coo clock. If we get this next one right, we win the contest. 'With a few lumps of coal, your smile's frozen in place, but too much sunshine wipes it right off your face.' Okay, I'm not so sure about this one.

It should be obvious but we weren't thinking of the right answer. But Sophus worked it out. It was a snowman. Sophus asked Cedrica to conjure one up but Ember wanted to do it so we win the contest. I'm about to do it if they both don't stop arguing! But they then said the spell at the same time making everyone into snowmen! AND EMBER BLAMED CEDRICA! No! Both of them saying it at the same time caused this! Cedrica tried to undo the spell but Cedrica got it wrong because Ember interrupted her again! She made a mini sun!

"What is that?" Sophus asked.

"Odin's icicles! You made a little sun, Cedric! You were supposed to say Packengo, not Meltato!" Ember told Cedrica.

"You distracted me!" Cedrica whined.

"Excuses, excuses."

"Stop it, both of you! Look!" I said pointing at the melting snowmen!

"Oh, no! They're melting!" Cedrica said worried.

"I can fix this," Ember said.

"And so can Cedrica if you'd just give her a chance!" I said.

"I've given her plenty of chances."

"Not really, Ember. I know you're just trying to help, but you've been interrupting her all day. And the one time you didn't, she made a perfect butterfly."

"Well, that's true, but this is a very difficult spell."

"Which is why you need to let her do it on her own."

Ember sighed, "I'll give you one try, but do it quickly before your dear father melts!"

I gave Cedrica her wand. So, with no interruptions, Cedrica said the spell and saved everyone from melting. Everyone was themselves again. But they didn't know what happened so we still have a chance to win. Ember was ready to make a snowman but finally, let Cedrica do it. And, all thanks to Cedrica, we won the contest. Hearing that we did, Cedrica picked me up in a hug and spun me around. But we instantly got flustered and looked away from each other. Then it was time to go back home.

The boys thought they didn't find a good deed today but the sorcerer in the competition with us named everything they had done today and they had so much fun. And that was the best deed he could think of. So they did get their badges. Wade said goodbye to me and Cedrica but Ember wasn't here. So was this day for nothing? We went to leave when Ember stopped us. She was giving Cedrica the family wand! Ember finally saw how great Cedrica is. This is great. We said goodbye to everyone at Mystic Meadows and headed home. Today was a great success.