Chapter 28: Chance

Start from the beginning

Venom growled as it crouched down onto all fours, it's tongue swaying back and forth like a pendulum. It pounced at the girl, but she seemed to have thought that this out, extending both legs and briefly carrying the beast's weight before she sent it sailing through the window, the glass shattering loudly as she did.

She deftly stood rushing forward. "Let's go, Miles!" she shouted as she shoved him out the door. As soon as she did however another flash of white and black appeared as another monster suddenly lunged at them Miles ducked as it flew over his head. He took a mental note.

"Spider sense: not working."

A choir of screams were heard down the hall and in a instant a quartet of Venoms were racing in the duos direction.

The boy heard, Gwen curse under her breath as she cupped her head and soon the two of them were speeding down the hall- running for their lives.

"Where are we going?" Gwen hollered in his ear. She broke her hand away to begin running and jumping along the side of the wall.

"There's an elevator at the end of the hall."

"We'll never make it inside. And why exactly would we use an elevator in crisis? That's how people die!"

Miles grunted as he stumbled a bit, but he regained his footing and glanced back at the creatures that drew nearer by the second. More Venomised students emerged from their room at every moment. Their cry sounded almost tormented.

"Just trust me, okay?" Miles pleaded.

Gwen said nothing.

Miles's head tilted up as the two metal doors came into sight. He stopped in his tracks as Gwen sped to the door.

"Miles! What are you-"

"Push, the button!" The boy commanded. She did as he said.

He now faced the monsters that only continued barreling forward. The boy grit his teeth.

He clenched his fist as his willed strength to make itself prominent. He shut his eyes as he tried to focus.

The thudding of the stampede of footsteps drew nearer as well as the screeching of his evilified classmates. He drowned it all out.

Miles dug deep, willing bio-electricity to surge out and incinerate the creatures.

"Come on. Come on. Come on!"

His knuckles were clenched so tight the must have begun to loose their color. His teeth were clenched so hard his jaw hurt. He was using so much energy that sweat had vacuum sealed his mask to his face.

And all that came out of his hands were two little spurts of blue light.

"Oh no."

The horde of creatures stopped in their tracks letting out a angry hisses and growls, but they didn't dare come any closer. It was like they feared the electricity.

Miles panted, his mind a jumbled mess.

"First my spider-sense and now my electricity. What's happening to my powers?"

Miles stiffened as something clung onto his arm and his was swiftly yanked back. He hit the carpeted floor just as the two metal doors in front of him shut, drowning out the Venoms' angry cries.

Miles looked up to meet Gwen's masked eyes. She placed a hand on her head, as if she were gonna run her fingers through her hair, but she forgot she had the mask on. Instead she sighed and slumped against the elevator wall.

"What now?" Miles breathed.

"I don't know, Miles," Gwen growled, "You wanna go swing to the other side of Brooklyn to look another friend to see if they've been taken over?" Miles didn't miss the sharpness in her tone and he deflated under her stare.