Sagwa

I've always been an "internet girl", as they'd call it. You know, always online when I can be, always web surfing when bored, always obsessively hopping on every new trend.  My life isn't completely online, but a great deal of it is, I'll admit that straight up.  You might know me as that catgirl with the lipstick that everyone hates, if you've heard of me.

  With all of this said, I've, of course, heard about the dark web.

  Thing about that is the weirdest thing I ever found on what was (probably) it was rather hard to explain, and still pretty hard to comprehend.  I'll just cut to the chase and describe what happened without dawdling on anything.

  It was a typical day, I had taken a few pictures beforehand and posted them on Instagram. My mind was empty, per the usual, and it was a weekend, after all. Nothing much to do but laze around my dorm, 2023 wasn't the best year when it came to eventful news.

  I checked my email, wondering if any of my friends replied, or the jobs I applied to had asked for interviews. Being a stressful time of year, finding a job was difficult, and college was putting an extremely heavy weight on my shoulders.  I assumed I may've missed an assignment or the like, and braced myself to be exhausted when I saw the new notification arrive.

  Instead, I found this strange email that I didn't expect to see.

  I didn't think too much of it, I just assumed it was spam, but the subject line seemed odd, even for a spam email.  I squinted a bit to see if I was reading it right.

  "Use the Konami Code."

  The Konami Code? Of course I had heard of it, being a self proclaimed "gamer girl", I knew it was a Japanese cheat code. I wasn't too into Japanese culture myself, but I knew enough about Japanese video gaming to know that.  It was used basically everywhere in every game for some kind of game cheats and stuff like that.

  What did that even mean?

  Deciding to take a little risk, I clicked on the seemingly scam link, wanting to see where it would lead me.  At best, I'd get a laugh.  At worst, I'd get a virus.

  I'd dealt with plenty of those.

  I was curious to what this email could mean, and why it was linking me to PBS Kids, of all things. I remembered playing on that site back in the 2000s, back when I was a little kid.  Was this actually what I guessed it was, some kind of scam or joke?

  Either way, this catgirl wanted answers that day, and she was going to get them.

  Clicking on the link, I was redirected to the typical PBS Kids "Oops! Can't be found!" Error page. I thought this might've been a prank of some kind before I remembered the subject of the email.

  "Use The Konami Code".

  I thought for a minute before typing it in on my keyboard.  Up, up, down, down

  Strangely, I was taken to a new link, with nothing but a video.  Not YouTube, not Vimeo, just a video against a black webpage.

  I was surprised, yet curious, and decided to click on the play button.  I was more surprised by what I saw next.

  I was greeted with an old friend that I had never expected to see again, much less on some weird web link.

  Sagwa, The Chinese Siamese Cat, the video featuring a still image of her typical smiling face and eyes towards the audience, namely me in this case.  I hadn't thought about this show in years, and I didn't know why it was coming back to haunt me now.  Some kind of strange nostalgia, coincidentally lining up with my own interests, or?