________________________________________________________________________________

The twelve-hour plane ride was gruesome, even in first class. I didn't pay for it of course; I just swiped a redhead's purse and luggage. She was about my height and weight so I knew I could get away with using her passport. Her clothes would likely fit too. I had no problem purchasing a ticket to Volterra with her credit card either. I was seated on the plane between a mother and her child. A middle seat. The child was quiet for a majority of the time, but the mother kept trying to strike up conversations with me. I decided it was best to lay my head back with sunglasses on and pretend to be asleep. I can be pleasant on occasion, but I do get annoyed easily. Me being annoyed is a very bad thing in the presence of humans. I could demolish this plane in the matter of minutes.

After the plane lands I find the nearest vehicle and steal it. It was a lot easier this time as there wasn't a person in it. Finding the Volturi was pretty easy. Rumors spread in the vampire community of them living in a secret city built beneath Volterra, Italy. Finding an entrance was a bit difficult but moving at super speed helped. There were humans everywhere, all dressed in red. I stole a red robe to blend in with them. I didn't really care about whatever event was going on, I had business to take care of. I found a little alleyway between two older constructed buildings made of brick that was degrading away. I could flick it with two fingers and it would crumble to pieces. I followed the alley to the back of the bigger building and there are brick steps leading down into what looks like an empty cellar.

The cellar was dark but that isn't a problem for me. I find a brick wall in the east corner that has an indent in the wall, like a trap door. I scan the wall with my eyes in the dark and see a brick that sticks out just a centimeter further than the rest. I gently press it and it slides back about one inch into the wall. After about twenty seconds I hear a chime. The door imprint in the wall begins to shift, opening directly in the middle, the bricks sliding sideways to reveal a spacious elevator. Finding myself impressed I step inside and there are only two buttons. One with an arrow pointing up, and one with an arrow pointing down. Pretty simple. I find it surprising that they didn't have guards protecting the cellar. Anyone could wander in here, although maybe they want that. Nothing like an unsuspecting snack, wandering your halls.

I press the down arrow and the doors close quickly. Within thirty seconds the elevator chimes and the doors open up to reveal a long brick hallway. Alabaster lighting fixtures line either side of the hall, making it just bright enough for human eyes to see where they would be stepping. Large brick pillars line the walls of the hallway every twenty feet or so. I begin my journey into the underground city. The heels of my boots clack against the concrete, echoing into the brick dungeon. I quicken my pace as the hallway is long and swerves a few times.

A faint noise stops me in my tracks, it's a heartbeat. A human is down here. The heartbeat is calm so the human must not be in danger, yet. I begin walking again following the sound of the heartbeat. I see the hallway quickly coming to end, leading into an open room that looks like a lobby. There is a woman sitting behind a desk. She is incredibly pretty for a human. If she were to be changed, her complexion would send men to their graves. She must not have heard me approaching because when I get to the desk and speak, she lets out a little yelp.

"I'm so sorry, you startled me. Are you lost? I see you're from the festival. I'd be happy to give you directions to back to the surface of the city." She says, gesturing towards the red robe I'm wearing. Her tone sounding concerned.

I assume she knows about vampires because why else would she be in this underground city? If she doesn't know then I just found my next snack. I lift the hood of my robe and remove my sunglasses, allowing her to see my eyes.