Prologue

Prologue.
Cardigan.

── ⚘ ──

     For the first time, since the day she learnt her alphabet, Rebekah Cameron was safe to say she was very happy with the way her life had turned out, ever since she had majority of her teenage memories tossed in the trash, and the remaining was shipped to Rhode Island.

Around four weeks after she had gotten use to the salt air from the coast was it the first time that she truly felt like herself.

There were no relationship dramas, family traumas or friendship breakups that could haunt her, and nothing from her previous life remained.

And then her age caught up with her.

At only twenty four years old, who was she to settle in seclusion for as long as she lived?

First she invited only Inez, but then only turned into Inez and Este. And then that turned into possibly more than half of the community residing in Rhode Island.

So she had made herself a name, and what about it? Everybody knew Rebekah's parties were legendary. If you even attended one, you could be considered a member of God's Favourites.

Yet those parties were what Rebekah had dreaded most; the days upcoming were what seemed like the days leading up to a public execution. However, no matter how much she dreaded them, she felt like it was her duty to fulfill, as long as everyone was happy, she could at least blend in.

She looked in her cellar, in search of something that could be useful to Holiday House's Independence Day celebrations, rather instead, finding her box of memories she had chose to forget about. Though, no matter how hard she tried, they always kept coming back to her.

And the first thing that brought back everything was the cardigan she wore everywhere at aged seventeen. The cardigan she once felt comfort in, until the one person she trusted the most shattered her heart like it meant nothing.

He threw everything down the drain whilst it meant like absolutely nothing to him, whilst it was on the top of the list of things Rebekah cherished above all.

She once thought there was no one she could hate more than her father, until James Montgomery came into the picture and ruined everything for the Cameron girl. Not once. Not twice, but three times he let him in and wreck all the plans they made.

Because despite being the love of her life once, he was her best friend before and since the beginning.

author's note
i'm not even joking when i say i started giggling reading every comment. i love compliments, they're too underrated. i particularly love those really creative ones. i also need to finish prewriting chapter one lmao.

anyways happy national gf day to my girls betty, august and inez! my fave j*mes enders ( literally )