1: salt water

"My boy's in love

"My boy's in love."

--☆--☆--☆--

Their laughter echoed in her ears. She could feel the warmth from the fire on her skin, and smell the saltwater in the air. She was there but she didn't feel like she was there, it was like her mind was somewhere else.

Whenever she felt like this all Emerson could do was think of her mom. One of the first things Addison ever taught her daughter was how to ignore her feelings. Addison was always calculated, precise. She didn't let anyone see something that she didn't want them to see. Addison could be having the worst day of her life, but you'd never know it by looking at her. She mastered the art of altering people's perception of her, and she passed that trait down to her daughter.

"Don't ever let them see you cry," Emerson remembered her saying when she was only six years old. "Don't give them the power of thinking they hurt you."

When she was little Emerson wasn't quite sure what her mom meant by that. All she knew was that she'd get in trouble if she cried, she'd get put in time out if she yelled, she'd receive a glare if she was anything less than perfect.

Emerson was trained to ignore every feeling she had. She'd bite her tongue when she wanted to yell at someone. She'd laugh even if she felt like she was on the verge of tears. Her smile would always reach her eyes, her laugh always sounded genuine, she always looked happy.

Even now as she was grieving the death of mother and living on a deserted island, you'd look at her and think she was totally fine. She laughed with the pogues, played happy family on the island. She did everything in her power to make them believe she was okay.

Emerson zoned back into the conversation, trying to remember what they had all been talking about. Cleo was laughing while John B revealed some of Pope's more embarrassing pick up lines. They never worked on the tourons but they somehow had Cleo laughing. Pope was blushing uncontrollably, while Sarah and Kiara laughed hysterically.

"When in actuality they'd be shitting up a storm," John B quoted Pope from the previous summer when he spent an entire eight minutes talking to a girl about dead bodies.

"Ya didn't?" Cleo looked over at Pope, who was clearly embarrassed.

"Classic Pope," Emerson shook her head at the boy, a playful smile appearing on her face. She looked over at JJ, smiling at him, a smile so convincing that even he bought it. Emerson moved closer to him as JJ put his arm around her, holding her close to him.

"He did!" Kiara pointed over at him.

"Girl, you can't say anything," Sarah replied to her, giving her a knowing look. Kiara got quiet, now she was the one feeling embarrassed.