50: Another Burden of Betrayal

Начните с самого начала

"No, mother. The letter is not the cause of my unease," she replied softly, hoping to put her family's worries at ease. Yet, she couldn't help but feel the weight of the truth she kept to herself.

Kosair, the protective brother, leaned forward slightly, his eyes searching hers with genuine concern. "Then what is the letter about, Navier? Is it him and his mistress again?"

Navier's grip on her utensils tightened imperceptibly, a subtle sign of her internal turmoil. She carefully chose her words, not wanting to burden her family further.

"No, Kosair, it isn't the emperor's doing. I assure you, I am handling it in my own way."

CLANG!

CLANG!

The clash of swords echoed through the training grounds, the sun casting a golden hue over the practice field.

Kosair locked eyes with his opponent, an intense fire burning within him. With swift precision, he delivered a powerful kick to the side of the knight's waist, sending his adversary tumbling to the ground in defeat.

Standing tall and victorious, Kosair raised his sword, the tip pointing confidently at the fallen knight's neck. From a distance, he could see his sister, Navier, observing the sparring match with a gentle smile, her presence a source of reassurance and encouragement.

A nod of approval from Navier filled Kosair with pride, and he sheathed his sword, slinging it casually over his shoulder, and approached her with a triumphant grin, the sweat on his brow reflecting his exertion.

"How long have you been watching?"

"Long enough for you to know that I was watching, Kosair," she replied, her voice melodic and composed.

Duchess Trovi, joined the siblings with a warm smile, her gaze tender as she spoke. "Your brother adores you, Navier. He stays at the estate as much as he can to be with you, for he misses you dearly."

Kosair's cheeks flushed with a mix of pride and bashfulness, the sentimentality of his mother's words made him clear his throat, glancing away to hide his emotions while a lopsided smile graced his lips.

Navier's response to her brother was equally warm and genuine. "I miss you too, Kosair."

With a sudden shift in mood, Kosair turned his attention back to the knights who had been witnessing the exchange. His sword pointed towards one of them, he posed a challenge with a smug grin. "Who among you dares to face me next?"

Navier gently patted her brother's shoulder with a serene smile, informing him of her departure. "I'll return to my room now, Kosair. You may continue your sparring," she offered.

Surprised by her decision, Kosair arched an eyebrow in inquiry, to which Navier explained, "Your time with the knights is essential. I shall leave you to your training."

Navier gracefully departed, the duchess following in her footsteps as the duchess headed towards a table nestled in the tranquil garden. Kosair stood tall, the sun painting a radiant halo around him.

"I changed my mind," he declared, "I believe I've sparred enough for the day."

Navier retreated to her chamber, her countenance still displaying an air of composure, though turmoil churned within her heart

Navier retreated to her chamber, her countenance still displaying an air of composure, though turmoil churned within her heart. As she reached the balcony, she gazed downwards, contemplating the mix of emotions that plagued her.

'Why do I feel this way?' she ruminated, her brow creased with vexation. The betrayal from someone she considered a dear friend was hard to accept.

'The anger I thought I left behind is resurfacing, just like how I felt with how Sovieshu treated me.'

Clutching her chest, Navier felt her vulnerability intensify, yet no tears escaped her eyes. Suddenly, the fluttering of wings caught her attention, and she looked up to see Queen, the eagle.

Surprised and wordless, Navier observed the bird's cheerful chirping, but even its presence couldn't lift her spirits. Queen sensed the solemnity in her expression and gently touched her cheek with its wing, as if offering comfort.

Despite her sadness, Navier managed a soft smile, tinged with sorrow. She struggled to smile properly, as Queen's association with the king made her feel conflicted.

The word 'traitor' echoed in her mind, amplifying her distress.

"Queen," she whispered tenderly, a tear tracing down her cheek, her throat constricting. The sight of herself in tears further concerned the bird.

Hoping to cheer her up, Queen presented the letter from King Heinrey. Unaware of its contents, the bird's gesture only deepened Navier's inner turmoil.

With a trembling hand, she swiftly untied the paper, though she was hesitant to read it. Her poker face concealed the storm inside her, despite the tear staining her cheek.

[I enjoyed spending time with you yesterday, my Queen! It really was worth it to come here. I want to spend more time with you during my stay.]

Silent after reading the letter, Navier's eyelids drooped, and her facade remained unyielding.

'Should I reply?' she pondered, grappling with how to respond without revealing that she had already discovered the truth.

Once she folded the letter and gently replaced it on Queen's foot, the bird squawked in shock and confusion.

"S-Squawk?!" it cried out, visibly worried. "Squawk! Squawk!"

"I apologize, Queen. I'm not in the mood to talk with your owner right now," Navier said softly as she carefully knotted the letter back onto the bird's foot.

"Squawk...!" Queen's eyes welled up with tears as it then flew away from Navier, leaving her standing there, gazing after the retreating bird with a heavy heart.