"Well, that makes it worse," Reardon countered.

In the face of opposition, Raylan remained immovable. "Talking about a matter of degrees," he conceded. A lifetime compared to a few years was a juxtaposition he was willing to place faith in, knowing the shift would unravel a cord that was already fraying.

The Judge sighed heavily under the weight of the prospect being placed upon his shoulders. "Deputy, you know how I got my nickname?"

"Your famous reputation," Raylan acknowledged.

"Because the power of gavel makes you a real ball-buster," Jo offered her own interpretation.

Reardon smiled at the assumption but shook his head in disagreement. "Truth is, the tail wagged the dog in that one. Now, back in the day, I told all the prosecutors to call me The Hammer. Knew it would put the defense attorneys, like you, Ms. Taylor, back on their heels. Pray, Jesus, don't let me draw the Hammer."

"It worked," David certified.

Reardon hummed in concurrence. "Having the name means I don't have to act on it all the time. So, no matter what you may have assumed, this is not an easy sell."

"The boy would hardly be the first minor charged as an adult for their crimes," she informed the collective. "The Jones siblings in '99, Eric Smith in '93, and the list goes on. It's not entirely unprecedented."

Despite the nods in recognition, David still felt the need to clarify, "Yes, but those teens were actually guilty."

"Look, I don't come to this decision lightly," Raylan pressed, taking the focus away from her as he leaned across the desk in seriousness. "But I see no other way to starve Darryl Crowe of his means."

"Once you fire this bullet, it don't go back in the barrel," Reardon reproved with finality, but the decision had long since been made.

With a shared understanding of their next step, the two men filed out of the chambers before her. However, a call halted Jo in her exit.

"Ms. Taylor, a word," the Judge insisted, and she jutted her chin towards Raylan to indicate it was fine to continue without her. They both let the door close, and the footsteps carry down the hall before the conversation proceeded without interruption. "You're a decent attorney, could make it to the bench one day, but you're too involved. I believe you recognize the contentions that come with such relationships."

He wasn't wrong, but lofty promotions had never been a goal of hers, and entanglements happened whether one was avoiding them or not. And regardless of if he was referring to Raylan or Tim, possibly both, there was no changing the circumstances she'd allowed herself to be seized by. "Some things we're simply born into, Your Honor," she said with an impassive shrug.

"I'm afraid so," he settled in resignation. "But do try to air on the side of discretion, at least for my sake. You're one of the good ones, but I'll never admit to having confessed such."

The smile the compliment drew from her lips was authentic, even if she would completely ignore his urging. "The feeling is mutual," she assured before leaving the way she'd come.

The steering looks from the Crowe siblings inside the bullpen were searing, aiming to injure in their wrath. While Jo had missed the initial outburst after being retained by Reardon, she was just in time to participate in the fallout.

"You and me, Raylan. That's a goddamn promise," Darryl swore while being escorted out of the office just as she entered. "Or maybe it's time I start harassing your family like you do mine," he threatened as his giant figure paused beside her.

If the others in the room flinched at the statement, she didn't notice, too captivated with the stare-down taking place. He might've been more than a foot taller than her, his weathered face marred by open wounds, but Jo had been confronted by far more dangerous men and remained standing.