"Please wait a sec."

"You really need to change your ringtone. It's awful."

"I'm pretty sure that's all the more reason to keep it."

With an expression crossed between annoyance and curiosity, Torako tugged her phone out of her skirt pocket and pulled down the notification bar.

Notifications:
1 missed call.

You have a new message from an unknown number.

Torako pursed her lips, exhaling through her nose.

'It's probably just a scam message.'

Yet, when she clicked on it, she was met with one of the most outrageous opening sentence in the history of online communication.

Unknown: Many people will die because of Suguru Geto.

"Huh," Torako breathed. "Who in the galaxy is Suguru Geto?"

Torako's face turned blank as she pulled the corners of her lips into a straight line, blinking incredulously at the screen. She had seen her fair share of ridiculous scam messages, but this one was on another level of nonsensical.

In the middle of her scrutiny, another message suddenly popped up.

Unknown: If I have calculated correctly, you are currently sitting in the car with your father, right?

Goosebumps shot up Torako's pale skin.

'What?'

Her eyebrows arched then drew together in a moment of panic. She swallowed, gripping her phone tightly in her hand. The muscles in her body began to tense, trapping the young teen in a short daze of aghast.

'How do they know? Are they gonna ambush us? Shit, dad's still here!'

Unknown: I assume you're panicking. Don't. I'm not tryna hurt you, kiddo. Just listen carefully, yes?

"You alright?"

With a quick flick of her wrist, Torako tilted the screen away from her father, who sported a curious expression at her frigid posture. She carefully inhaled, shifting her gaze to meet his, contemplating.

"... I'll be back in a few. Do not come out," she hurriedly said, opening the door of the car before hopping out.

Closing the door, Torako stood at the side of the car, her senses alive with high alert as her navy blue eyes scanned her surroundings.

No cursed energy present. For now, at least.

She exhaled slowly, glancing back inside the car where her father had his arms crossed in skepticism of her behaviour. Torako cleared her throat as she started swinging her arms back and forth, her blank gaze running away from his.

Her father arched a brow with a baffled frown. He knew that look.

Mr Murakami had known for a long time about his daughter's ability to perceive things beyond the scope of ordinary vision - creatures from the other side. It didn't take him much time to find out at all, after an instance of nearly being killed by one, that is. To see things no one was meant to see, he thought it was tragically unfair. Still, whatever Torako chose to do with this ability, or be – sorcerer or not – she'd be great at it. This was his daughter, after all.

Still, that didn't stop him from questioning her unfathomable behaviour, sometimes. Just like now, when said daughter suddenly leapt into the air like a bird about to take flight. Out of nowhere. Without saying anything. He blinked, a look of bamboozlement washing over his face.

With a soft thud, Torako landed on the car's roof, her sneakers gently pressing against the metal surface.

"Torako Murakami! What the hell are you doing?!" Despite the obvious anger in his tone, his scream had more of a confused edge to it.

"Oof, he dropped the full name. That's not good," Torako mumbled sheepishly. She then yelled back, leaning down to hit the side of the car, "Just stay put, yeah?!"

Even though she couldn't hear it, she was sure he was groaning right now, saying things along the lines of, "Are all sorcerers this weird?"

But of course, she had a reason for jumping on top of the car. It was because when on the lookout for potential threat, it was always wiser to do it from high-ground. Not only this, but fighting in the car would've proved to be extremely cumbersome should something ambush them; she would've looked like a dying fish struggling on the shore. It was better to protect her father like this, anyway, when she could see attacks coming from every direction.

With a sharp sigh, Torako plopped herself down on the roof of the car, crossing her legs.

Unknown: Hello? You still there? I don't like being ghosted. C'mon, talk to me.

Torako: Who're you?

Unknown: I'm from the future.

Torako paused, raising a doubtful brow.

"Uh huh," she murmured, not quite convinced.

Torako: What's your name?

This question took a while to answer.

Unknown: It's confidential.

Torako: Are you a scammer of some sort? A desperate author tryna promote their new novel? A comic book super-villain? Or a vigilante? Am I being recruited for some kind of super secret task force? Like the IMF?

Unknown: Can you be serious for once?

Torako: I am serious. If it's the IMF, I'd definitely join.

Unknown: ...

Torako: Sorry.

Unknown: Let's just start over.