finding her doubt amusing. "I assure you, I'm still the same person you've known all this time," he replied. "I've just decided to be a bit more honest about my feelings, that's all."

He took a step closer to her, locking eyes with her in a way that made her heart flutter. "So, are you going to give me permission to court you, to make you fall in love with me?" he asked, his tone soft but determined.

Athanasia felt her cheeks heat up as she struggled to process everything. She was torn between her initial skepticism and the newfound vulnerability she saw in Cale's eyes. Maybe, just maybe, he was being sincere.

Finally, she let out a sigh, feeling her resistance waver. "Fine, I give up at this point," she admitted, looking away to hide her embarrassment. "But don't think this means I'm easily won over."

Cale's smile widened, clearly pleased with her response

Cale's smile widened, clearly pleased with her response. He reached out and gently took her hand, bringing it to his lips to plant a soft kiss on her knuckles. Athanasia blushed even deeper at the gesture, her heart pounding in her chest.

As they stood there, hand in hand, Athanasia realized that maybe, just maybe, this unexpected engagement wouldn't be so bad after all. Perhaps there was more to Cale than she had initially thought, and maybe, just maybe, she was willing to give this newfound side of him a chance.

She couldn't deny the connection that was forming between them. She found herself looking forward to their conversations, their stolen glances, and the fluttering feeling in her stomach whenever he was near.

At the same time, someone knocked on the door, and Cale started to stand up to answer it. As he opened the door, he was greeted with a smile from Ron,

Cale felt a sudden chill run down his spine when he saw Ron's smile

Cale felt a sudden chill run down his spine when he saw Ron's smile. It was an odd sensation, but he brushed it aside for the moment. Ron addressed him and Lady Athanasia, informing them that Count Deruth and Countess Violan invited them both to join them for breakfast.

Cale nodded in understanding and told Ron that he and Athanasia would join them shortly. Ron bowed and left the room to inform the Counts.

Turning back to Athanasia, who was still seated, Cale relayed the invitation to her. Athanasia simply nodded in response.