II. LIFE OVER DEATH

✦ EPIPHANY - BY -C3NTURIES ✦

― "KANROJI!" sanemi, the wind hashira, calls to mitsuri, who runs over to him.

"shinazugawa-san! what happened?" mitsuri questions.

"look at this." sanemi says, lifting up his hand. he showed mitsuri a disconnected eyeball hanging by a few nerves, its iris inscribed with the kanji for "upper four".

mitsuri gasped in horror.
"what is that?!" she exclaims.

"i don't know, but it seems to be connected to upper four of the twelve kizuki." sanemi says lowly. "if this is some sort of blood demon art that's spying on us, we're in deep shit. we can't let them find okayata-sama's mansion, or that kamado boy."

"you're right.. what are we going to do, though? if there are multiple of these and they're this small... there could be hundreds of them situated around here!" mitsuri noted.

"we'd just have to keep a look out, i guess. tell some of the others, but if they're already training people then keep them out of the loop for now. we can't have them getting distracted if strong demon slayers is the one thing we need to defeat kibutsuji." sanemi thinks out loud.

"right. i'll tell the hashira who aren't training people, that's iguro-san, tokito-san, and kocho-san. thank you, shinazugawa-san." mitsuri nodded seriously, bowing before quickly leaving.

luckily, it wasn't long before she ran into the serpent pillar, who was absentmindedly wandering around the garden of the love estate.

"obanai-kun!" mitsuri calls excitedly, waving. she sees him wave back, and skids to a halt in front of him.

"hi, mitsuri-san." he says, giving her an invisible smile.

"hi! shinazugawa-san told me to tell you something really important." mitsuri says, putting a hand near her mouth and whispering to the pillar.

"shinazugawa-san found a remnant of a spy from the twelve kizuki. he thinks because of how small it was, that there are multiple stationed across headquarters. he said to tell you to look out for them."

obanai gasped in horror, his invisible smile fading.
"a spy? was it sent by kibutsuji?" he asks, to which mitsuri nods with worry.

"oh, obanai-kun, i'm so worried! i wasn't supposed to tell anyone this, but okayata-sama told me he thinks there's going to be a final battle between humans and demons, and i don't want that to happen!" mitsuri trembles.

"hey, it's alright." obanai puts a gentle hand on her shoulder. "if that does happen, i won't leave your side the entire time. we'll fight together. and we'll end the demons together."

mitsuri's eyes shone with tears, and she wrapped her arms around her fellow pillar.
"i don't want to die, and i don't want you to die either! if there is a final battle, i want us to win, and be victorious!"