Chapter 5: My Son, My Baby

Start from the beginning

______________________________

"You know what! I refuse to speak to anyone like you!" Zenitsu screams - it took me a minute to realize that it's his, as if I'm disoriented. He starts running away in fear.

"You're already losing." Another voice says making Zenitsu pause and turn around. It seems to be some type of spider demon. The grin that makes way on his face doesn't quite make Zenitsu feel any better, it in fact makes him feel worse despite his confusion from the statement.

"What are you talking about?"

"Take a look at your hands."

"My hands?"

Zenitsu looks down at his hand and suddenly, time seemed to freeze. His hand was half purple and bruised from poison, and his veins looked more visible than they should have. All I could hear was loud ringing in his eardrums(my eardrums?) as his breathing stopped. Somewhere in the back of my mind I noticed that the demon was still talking, but his voice was muffled as I stared and stared at Zenitsu's hand.

I couldn't tell if it was my heart that dropped or his, maybe it was both, but all I knew is that my boy needed help as soon as possible.

My eyes snapped open and I sat up in the bed. As soon as I made a move to get out of bed in panic, my bedroom door is slammed open. It's Aiko, my scattered thoughts manage to remind me.

"Lady (Y/N), I was just alerted that two hashiras are on their way to Mount Natagumo. The last time I checked, Zenitsu was sent up there for a mission." She said in a hurry. Ichika and Kiyoko are standing in the doorway with panicked expressions. Standing up, I rush to change my clothes.

"My blood demon art activated in my sleep. Zenitsu's poisoned." The children gasp in horror as they follow me to the front door. "We should come with you so we can heal him!" Ichika shouted, already slipping on her sandals. I place my hands on her shoulders, causing her to pause all of her movements.

"It's too dangerous. Aina already said there will be two hashiras there already. And if Tanjiro and her demon sister are there, we'll probably have to meet the master already. I cannot guarantee your safety if I don't talk to them first." She stares at me, her eyes filling with tears and her mouth wobbling. All I can feel is the worry oozing out of every pore of her body, more than what I've ever felt from her before.

"Please be careful." She pleads quietly. It pains me to think that all we've been doing lately is worrying, but I can only hope that it becomes easier after what happens here. Taking a good look at all of them, I nod and promise them all that I will come back for them. As the door closes behind me and my feet hits the ground, I pray that I'm lucky enough to make it in time.

______________________________

By the time I make it to Mount Natagumo, it's almost time for the sun to rise and there are lots of members of the Kakushi roaming around. Though I don't pay attention to any of this in my panicked state as I look around for my son. On multiple occasions I've made a reputation of being a little bit clumsy when I'm in a rush, but while searching for Zenitsu it shows as a trip on what feels like millions of rocks and sticks on the ground.

Suddenly I'm stopped by a figure landing in front of me. Immediately, I pause and zero in on who's in front of me. My stiff shoulders relax a little and my eyes begin to tear up when I realize it's the Water Pillar standing there. He looks confused and a little surprised to see me here, but he seems more shocked at the state I'm in. His hands move in front of him as he stutters a little bit, seeming to have not a clue about what he should do.

"Giyuu! You're here! Have you seen him? I need to make sure he's okay!" I interrupt him, stepping a little closer. As he puts his hands down, I try to calm myself down as to not startle him anymore than I already have.

"Who are you talking about?" He asks, his voice a little softer than usual. For a second I thought I saw a hint of concern in his eyes, but it disappears as soon as I blink. It becomes just that much harder to keep myself still the longer I stand there. I open my mouth to speak but a muffled voice interrupts me.

"Mama...?"

My mind clears of any lingering thoughts I had as glance behind Giyuu. A few trees away, there lays Zenitsu, my son. He's wrapped head to toe in gauze, but I could never forget his brown and gold eyes. There's a bird resting on his head, a sparrow. I take a small step, and another, and another until I'm running towards him.

When I finally reach him, I fall to my knees and take a good look at him. "Zenitsu?" My voice cracks as I desperately attempt at holding back my tears. His once exhausted eyes widen, and they start to water as if he couldn't believe it. He stares at my face, looking at every detail until he looks into my eyes again.

"Mama," his voice breaks into a heart wrenching cry as he lets go of his tears. A single tear escape my eye as I raise my hands to hold onto his face gently. When they reach his face he closes his eyes for a second, like he was basking in the sunlight.

"Oh baby, your hair's yellow now," I laugh softly, giving him a big trembling smile. His eyes sparkle and the corner of his eyes crinkle, indicating that he himself is smiling. He gives me a tired and breathy little chuckle and it makes me feel like I can breathe again.

"I always wondered... what you would think... about that." He says slowly. His eye lids keep falling, as if he's forcing them to stay open. I just smile at him, happy to finally feel whole again.

"I think it's wonderful hunny. Now you need to rest, when you wake up we can talk about every little thing you want to." I say, as he struggles to stay awake. He opens his eyes and looks at me with never ending hope.

"This is real, right? You won't leave?" He asks, voice a little lower than before, dripping with exhaustion.

"I'm not leaving like that ever again," I say. My heart squeezes as I look him in the eyes, trying to silently show him that this is real. Now that I'm here, I could never leave again. His closes his eyes at my reassurance, and I can hear him snore like he used to when he was a little boy. And that thought hits my heart harder than ever because my boy is here and he's okay.

The sound of two katanas clinging together makes my ears ring. I quickly turn around and am met with Giyuu's back facing me. Moving to look in front of him I see that he blocked an attack from another demon slayer who I recognize as the Insect Pillar. Despite the unwaivering smile on her face, I can feel and see the irritation in her eyes, glaring at Giyuu.

"Ara ara, what is it with you protecting demons today Tomioka-san? This isn't how you go about making friends." She says as she continues to smile.

"This is The Fortunate Demon."