Two

I groaned when the alarm clock chimed 7 a.m. I stretched my hands and switched it off.

''Surprise!''

Naomi, Joshua, and Sara yelled and pounced on me.

I sighed.

''May I remind you all that you're not eighteen-year-olds?''

They laughed.

''I'm out.''

My brother said and left, smiling at the outcome.

I turned to Sara and Naomi, my best friends.

''And you?''

'There's a party going on!' They yelled together.

I sighed. '' A party? Seriously? Don't tell me you've started being a drama queen again Sarah.''

They dragged me from my bed and made me sit, facing the mirror.

"Time to look hot!"

I strolled in the crowd amidst the twinkling fairy lights. I couldn't believe what Sarah did to my home. I already spoke to my parents who screamed at the idea of having a party here. I understood they needed privacy. The scent of freshly bloomed flowers mingled with the aroma of delicious food from the buffet table. My workmates dressed in a dazzling array of outfits swirled around the sitting room to the outside space, their laughter and chatter creating a joyful cacophony.

To my disbelief, I felt like a stranger in the crowd.

A group of friends gathered near the edge of the garden, clinking glasses of champagne.

"Missing someone?"

I heard someone say, Mr. Duh smiled and stood towering over me. He wore the brightest suit in the crowd.

"Yes. Well, I didn't expect to see you either."

He laughed. "Well, my dear, sometimes I can be very clingy."

"I'll see you later sir," I said, trying to escape his selfish comments.

"I was about to ask you for a dance."

"I don't think that is a good idea."

He grabbed me and spurned me around. My short gown almost tore and I vowed to challenge Sarah later tonight.

"I think she already made that clear, Mr.Duh."

He came to my aid.

In the dimly lit room, his presence was like a beacon drawing every eye his way. With a chiseled jawline that hinted at a determination, his deep set held a captivating intensity, their color staring deep into my soul. Waves of golden hair formed his face with effortless elegance, each strand seemingly falling into place perfectly. As he moved towards me, a subtle air of confidence enveloped him, his every gesture exuding grace and poise. A hint of a smile played at the corner of his lips, inviting anyone fortunate enough to meet his gaze to share in his enigmatic charm.

The crowd stilled, basking in awe.

He took my hand in his, saving me from whatever was happening.

I smiled as I felt his warm hands against mine. We strolled toward the backyard of my home.

"The stars are out." He glanced towards me. Under the glow of the stars, I walked beside him. A shy smile grazed my lips whenever our gazes met. The breeze played with the strand of my hair and I brushed it aside.

"So, what does Mr.Duh want?"

"I have no idea." I laughed trying to conceal the slight flush on my cheeks.

He nodded as we sat on a bench.

"I understand why you're avoiding him. The man's exhausted."

I laughed again. This time it came naturally.

"I sometimes want to shove some work appointments in his face whenever he starts."

"Me too." I smiled. Our conversation flowed effortlessly. We talked about our parents and his, punctuated by laughter, and shared secrets. With each expression, I couldn't ignore the way our shoulders brushed against each other, sending a wave of electricity through me. As we called it a night, time seemed to slow down, allowing us to savor each moment of connection and I finally realized that I was attracted to him.

In the quiet night after my friends screamed about enjoying the party and the talk of handsome men, I tossed and turned in my bed, unable to find the solace of sleep. My heart danced with the rhythm of thousands of thoughts, all centered around the one person who had captured my heart. Maxwell Whittaker. Each passing second seemed to stretch to eternity, as I replayed our conversations, and shared glances in my mind. I found myself caught between the desire to sleep and the intoxicating pull of my emotions.

Bathed in the muted glow of midnight, Maxwell lay still in his bed, a prisoner in his own emotions. The weight of his feelings for her bore down on his chest, making each breath a struggle. The hours stretched on and the world outside his window seemed to hold his breath in solidarity. Tangled in his sheets, he traced invisible patterns on the ceiling, his thoughts consumed by her smile. Her words, her essence had taken hold of his heart.