xxiii. fourteen million, six hundred and five

Start from the beginning

He webbed Mantis' arms to her body. Quill landed next to him and kicked him away, yelling, "Stay down, clown!" 

Peter's metal spider legs extended from his suit and he tried to make a run for it, though he wasn't able to get far before Quill hit him with an electric cord, restraining the teenager.

Drax was struggling on the ground, still trying to pull the cloak off of himself. "Die, blanket of death!"

Right as Quill hauled Peter off of the ground and placed him in a headlock, Aster landed in front of them, holding both of her hands up in surrender. "Hey! Quill, knock it off!"

Quill dropped his gun by his side in shock. "Aster—?"

Tony, who had since pulled himself from the magnetic trap, landed feet away and aimed his thruster at Drax. Doctor Strange inched closer to Mantis, who looked plain terrified. Aster stood between them all, still holding her palms forward.

Tearing his eyes away from Aster, Quill's eyes darted around the group. "Everybody stay where you are. Chill the F out." He powered off his helmet, glancing over at his girlfriend's younger sister. "Aster, you're safe with us." Glaring at the rest of the Avengers, he threatened, "I'm gonna ask you this one time... Where's Gamora?"

"Yeah, I'll do you one better," Tony said, dissolving his own helmet. "Who's Gamora?"

From the ground, Drax yelled, "I'll do you one better! Why is Gamora?"

Tony glanced over at his daughter. "You know these idiots?"

Before Aster could respond, Quill shoved his gun further into Peter's temple. "Tell me where the girl is, or I swear to you, I'm gonna French fry this little freak."

"Quill, listen to me—" Aster tried, stepping forward.

"Let's do it! You shoot my guy, I blast him." Tony extended the gun in his armor until it was inches away from Drax's face. "Let's go!"

Gritting his teeth, Drax yelled, "Do it, Quill! I can take it."

"No, he can't take it!" Mantis yelled from the sidelines, still wrapped up in Peter's webs.

"She's right," Strange cut in, as monotone as ever. "You can't."

"Oh yeah? You don't wanna tell me where she is? That's fine. I'll kill all three of you and beat it out of Thanos myself." Quill dropped his mouth to Peter's ear and threatened, "Starting with you—"

"Okay, everyone shut up!"

Aster's voice took superiority. Everyone actually listened to her for once, shutting their mouths and staring at her, wide-eyed. "These guys," she drawled, pointing between Peter, Tony, and Strange, "Do not work for Thanos." She turned to her teammates and mimicked her previous motions, pointing between the Guardians. "These guys also do not work for Thanos. We're all on the same team here."

Strange narrowed his eyes at her words. "Wait, what? All right, let me ask you this one time. What master do you serve?"

Quill tore his eyes away from Aster to shoot Strange a look. "What master do I serve? What am I supposed to say? 'Jesus'?"

"You're from Earth?" Tony asked, slowly lowering his weapon.

With a scrunched face, Quill told him, "I'm not from Earth. I'm from Missouri."

Tony stood there, unblinking and unimpressed. "Yeah, that's on Earth, dipshit."

Letting out a tired sigh, Aster pinched the bridge of her nose. A wave of deja vu washed over her. "That's what I said," she mumbled. "Quill, we talked about this. Missouri is on Earth."