❝CHAPTER SEVENTEEN❞︎

Start from the beginning

"But I never―︎" Hagrid cut himself off as he looked at Dumbledore. "You know I never, Professor."

Dumbledore turned to look at Fudge. "I want it understood, Cornelius, that Hagrid has my full confidence."

"Albus, look, Hagrid's record is against him. I've got to take him."

"Take me?" Hagrid asked. "Take me where? Not Azkaban prison!" Juniper involuntarily flinched, causing the two boys to glance at her.

Cornelius looked at him with mock sympathy. "I'm afraid we have no choice, Hagrid."

The sound of the door opening and the voice that followed made Juniper cringe. "Already here, Fudge? Good." Lucius Malfoy stepped inside the hut and Juniper's eyes narrowed into slits.

"What are you doing here?" Hagrid asked, angry. "Get out of my house!"

"Believe me, I take absolutely no pleasure being inside your. . ." Lucius looked around, walking closer to where the three of them were standing making them back up. "You call this a house? Hmm. No, I simply called at the school and was told the headmaster was there."

Dumbledore looked at him. "Well, what exactly is it that you want with me?"

"The other governors and I have decided it's time for you to step aside." Lucius held out a scroll towards Dumbledore. "This is an order of suspension." Lucius walked towards Dumbledore and Cornelius went to take the scroll but Dumbledore held up a hand, stopping him. "You'll find all 12 signatures on it. I'm afraid we feel you've rather lost your touch. Well, what, with these attacks, there'll be no muggle-borns left at Hogwarts." Lucius turned and began walking towards their hiding place. "I can only imagine what an awful loss that would be to the school."

"You can't take Professor Dumbldeore away." Hagrid denied. "Take him away, and the muggle-borns won't stand a chance. You mark my words, there'll be killings next."

"You think so?" Lucius questioned, the lack of concern in his voice making Juniper nauseous.

"Calm yourself, Hagrid." Dumbledore assured. "If the governors desire my removal, I will, of course, step aside." Dumbledore began walking towards Lucius. "However. . . you will find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it." Dumbledore looked past Lucius and looked right at the three of them.

Lucius turned to look behind him, trying to find what Dumbledore was looking at before turning back to look at the Headmaster and saying, "Admirable sentiments. Shall we?" Lucius walked out. Dumbledore stood there for a moment, looking at the three with raised eyebrows before turning and walking out after Lucius leaving just Cornelius and Hagrid.

"Come, Hagrid," Cornelius said. "Well?"

Hagrid coughed, clearing his throat. "If, um, if anybody was looking for some stuff, then all they'd have to do would be follow the spiders. Yep. That would lead them right. That's all I have to say." Hagrid began to walk out before stopping. "Oh, and someone'll need to feed Fang while I'm away." Fang let out a growl as Hagrid walked out with Fudge following after him. As soon as the door closed, they removed the cloak.

"Hagrid's right." Ron was the first to speak. "With Dumbledore gone, there'll be an attack a day."

Juniper walked over to Fang, smiling at the dog as she started to rub his head. She turned her head to look at Harry who's eyes were focused on the window. "Look," he said, nodding towards the window. The other two turned to follow his eye line just to see a trail of spiders crawling up the wall and out the window. "Come on." Harry grabbed Hagrid's lantern. "Come on, Fang."