25.(CH) I almost forgot

Start from the beginning

Those people with whom he spoke Cedric would wish a good holiday. Even when charms to guard his belongings would have his suitcase assembled in less than fifteen minutes, he couldn't do it in just one sitting. Noticing the empty spaces in the room made him nostalgic. At the beginning of the year, he would miss his father and at the end he would be invaded by that bittersweet feeling at the thought of not seeing his friends so often.

"Promise you'll answer my letters, no matter how long they are."

Malcolm was standing in front of him, with his puppy dog eyes.

"I promise," Cedric said, giving in easily to the emotional moment. 'When have I not?' would have ruined the mood. "You know we'll see each other, right? You can visit me whenever you want. Just send a letter a little bit in advance."

"There's a good chance I'll spend all my time at your house."

Cedric laughed, anticipating how his best friend would drop by with a fifteen minutes notice and stay an entire week. Malcolm helped him finish packing while they made summer plans that included Tam, Will and Cho.

LXXX

Every year it could vary who Cedric communicated with in the months outside of school, besides his usual friends. Finding someone's address in the wizarding world was pretty easy, with specific guides to search. It wasn't frowned upon resorting to them. It was also not uncommon to get a letter from someone you didn't know -he'd gotten a couple from girls a few times.

The muggle world, however, worked in a different way.

Harry Potter's information would not be listed for everyone to know.

And Cedric wanted to write to Harry in the summer.

LXXXI

He had the words in his mind.

It should be easy, but he had never done it before.

"Harry," Cedric called after looking for him for a while, relieved at the sight of him.

Finding him in the train cabins the next day would have been more difficult.

"Ced, I thought I wouldn't see you again until the World Cup."

It was true that they had already half said goodbye, with the whole matter of have a nice vacation and see you. The rest of the Gryffindors had been there too, and Cedric didn't think that was the right way to end the school year with someone who had become such a close friend.

"About that... I almost forgot something," he started to say, and no matter how much he tried to remember the words in his mind, it didn't come out the way they were previously organized. "There are several months left until the World Cup and I was wondering..." Since he didn't know how to say it, all Cedric did was hand him a piece of parchment with his address on it. Harry took it, visibly confused. "You can write to me. Or I can write to you, but I wouldn't know where."

A soft laugh came out of Harry. "Ron's owl got lost once with the address still on it. Would you like me to, uh, write it for you?"

"Yeah, had any paper on you?" That could be easily fixed: he tore off some of the space he had given Harry and handed it over again. Cedric didn't have a quill but he knew a way, "There is an incantation that can write for you."

"I don't think I know that one," Harry admitted, who did have a quill in his robe pocket. "Fixed."

Now this must be the strangest thought Cedric had ever had.

He saw it once.

He offered Harry to write on his back. He didn't refuse. Maybe because Cedric turned around too fast for him to do so. At least Harry couldn't see his face burning with embarrassment and his heart pounding as he felt the hand holding the paper smack dab in the center of his back, and the movement of the scribbling so smooth.