23.(HC) you must be aware that you're handsome

Start from the beginning

"What does Cedric have to do with this?" he asked, changing his strategy of denying everything and trying to run away as fast as possible for one that might get him an answer. "He hasn't done anything."

"Oh, so he didn't tell you." Harry rolled his eyes at Draco's dramatic silence. "Such great friends, then," he mocked before walking away, leaving him wondering.

LXXIX

He was afraid. He had never before told anyone about any of his undoubtedly risky experiences. Someone who wasn't there, like Hermione and Ron, or who wasn't an authority, like the Headmaster, who Harry told only what was strictly necessary. When someone asked him questions in the hallways, Harry was an expert at answering without content.

He knew that nothing he had experienced could be called normal .

He wasn't sure if anyone other than his best friends would understand it.

If Cedric knew how crazy his life was... he was afraid that it would end up driving them apart.

Absurd , considering that he was the most incredible person he had ever met.

And that at some point Harry couldn't pin down he had chosen to trust him.

So he would do it.

CEDRIC

LXI

It didn't take long for rumors to spread about what had happened with Black.

Under what circumstances was he caught? Most believed that he had tried to kill Harry, since they had found out that he spent one day in the hospital wing, and that Snape had saved his life. Cedric would get goosebumps every time he heard a conversation of that sort.

How would Black have managed to escape again ?

"The ineptitude of some," was Kevin's response, "and the cunning of others."

Theories that he had to be helped to get into the castle were fueled by the conveniently recent news of Professor Lupin's resignation. Cedric was concerned with a bigger issue that no one else seemed to be wondering about: was Harry safe?

LXII

Looking forward to going back to his dorm to sleep after spending the night patrolling in the last double watch as a prefect, Cedric came across Harry on his way and said hello. Harry looked much better now than he did when he visited him in the hospital wing over the weekend. The dark circles under his eyes had disappeared, though he wasn't wearing a smile when Cedric approached.

"How are you?" he asked the only question that really mattered.

"I need to talk to you," was his answer, instead of the usual okay.

Those words always made Cedric nervous.

Coming from Harry, he didn't know what it could be.

He walked by his side without thinking twice. "About?"

"I think I owe you a story or two."

LXIII

"You don't owe me anything," Cedric wanted to clear up when they sat down on the ground on one of the solitary sides of the castle. "I mean, you can tell me whatever you want. It's not an obligation or anything like that."

He hated the thought that he might have made Harry feel like he had to .

It was obvious that Harry had been through things that he didn't feel comfortable talking about and he understood that.