18.(CH) the evidence suggests otherwise

Start from the beginning

Cedric thought that it was a good reason for the visible discomfort Harry had shown before. One that Harry hadn't wanted to share with him, and one that he could understand.

Who wouldn't feel bad if the girl you like ignored you?

Cho said that she would talk to him to clear things up.

HARRY

LII

He thought Cedric would be alone.

Kind of silly of him, because of course he had company.

He spotted Cho a few yards away, in the field, looking at them curiously. Harry had to leave before she got close, because he just didn't want to be there with them.

Interrupting.

He ran to catch up with his friends, whom he had left halfway towards the castle, assuring them to continue without him. He had been convinced that he would stay talking with Cedric and return to the dorms later. There he was, again, breathless, under George's startled gaze.

"I didn't notice that you were gone," he told him, looking around. "Where is Cedric? I thought he was coming with us too."

Angelina and Katie laughed out loud at how clueless he was.

"He stayed in the field," Harry explained, and because he had a feeling George would ask, he added, "with Cho."

George put an arm around his shoulders and resumed their previous conversation.

CEDRIC

XLIV

When he returned to his room that night, he asked Malcolm if he had a good time, considering that he had been in the stands for most of the afternoon. If he had been bored, what did he think of the match and the Gryffindor players. Cedric's curiosity was immense and his best friend was a source of experiences and anecdotes that he liked to be able to share. Zacharias was in his bed, not making any comments, with a book in his hand and didn't seem to be paying attention to them.

Cedric had invited him, of course.

Zacharias wasn't interested in playing with other teams as he proposed, but he had reserved his opinion. Even when Cedric could see it in his face, he appreciated it. He felt uncomfortable discussing the events of the evening with Malcolm so openly and loudly. Not only because of some sensitive information that he might say, but also because they were disturbing his reading. He considered offering to go to the common room, because it would be empty enough to have privacy.

Especially to discuss the situation of their friends.

He thought it might be rude of him to do so, and they stayed in the room. It was late, anyway, and they were too tired to move from their beds.

Hermione turned out to be a great company, Malcolm told him. She was an interesting and intelligent girl, with a lot of opinions that she had no problem expressing when she often disagreed. She hated (the art of, an aspect Malcolm liked to emphasize) Divination in the loudest possible way, and she had kept him at bay as much as she had offered a debate. And she turned red when he asked about Ron, which Malcolm took to be a dead giveaway on her feelings.

In addition to really wanting to watch him play.

The girl seemed to be the redhead's first fan.

"You could be a substitute for chaser," he told Cedric as well, settling back on the pillow. "Not that I'm very knowledgeable about Quidditch, but it seemed like you knew what you were doing. And if Cho hadn't caught the snitch, you would've won."