15.(HC) opportunities don't get lost

Start from the beginning

He didn't understand why he would waste it.

Cedric, who usually looked confident, wore an expression Harry couldn't bear to see. He placed his hand on his shoulder to get his attention. "I'll tell you later what they all say," Harry spoke, letting his arm fall back next to his own body and trying to flash a reassuring smile.

What Cedric returned was nothing more than a hint of a grimace, with one of the corners of his lips raised.

Harry wanted to do something, anything, to light him up.

"I think we should go to class," was Hermione's way to say goodbye. "See you there, Harry. Thanks for the invite, Cedric."

Cedric smiled gently at her and they both watched her take Ron by the arm. Then he turned to greet two friends who were waiting for him in the distance. A tall blond girl and a boy with curly, dark hair who looked familiar to Harry waved back and disappeared, leaving the hallway empty.

Nerves from being alone and the lack of concern about being late spoke quite loudly in Harry's ears.

He was no longer sure that he needed to wait until then to...

"I didn't mean to make it sound like something just for the team's players," Cedric said. "I'm sorry if I have offended your friend in any way. Being a Weasley, I thought he would be interested. Quidditch pretty much runs in his blood."

"You're not wrong about that," Harry tried to soothe him and had to stop himself from placing his hand on Cedric's shoulder again. It was a real shame Ron wasn't around to hear that last comment, because he would have liked it. Perhaps then he would realise how unjustified his attitude had been. "Maybe next year he'll give it a try. With the vacancy that Oliver has left, it's possible that he will make the team. And you haven't offended him, I don't know what's wrong with him today. I apologise for his behaviour. I'll let the rest of the team know."

Cedric nodded, still looking at him.

So intimidating that Harry felt the urge to fill the silence. "Count me in."

A big smile spread across his face at that statement, with a dimple included in one of his cheeks.

One that Harry had never noticed.

"By the way, I didn't congratulate you on winning the Cup this year. That match was really awesome. Like it kept me on the edge of my seat."

Harry wanted to tell him that the luck he'd wished had helped.

He couldn't find the words.

Or the ability to say them.

"I even bet on you."

"Really?" Harry couldn't help but ask, impressed. "I didn't think you'd be the type to place bets. Luckily we won, otherwise you would be asking me for your money back."

Cedric's laugh was light, contained. "I'm not. I made an exception."

How could Harry keep it casual when he said something like that?

Even though he knew he had to say goodbye, he was aware that Professor Trelawney was not very stern and that he had never skipped her class before. Harry almost considered staying with him. Instead, he decided that it was better if he attended. After all, his friends were expecting him, and "I was talking to a friend" wasn't a good excuse.

At least not one that he could say with a straight face.

He told Cedric that he had to go and ran to the classroom, fifteen minutes late.

XXXIX

"WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BE SO RUDE TO CEDRIC?"

They were reaching the entrance of the common room after the last hour listening to gloomy predictions of his life when Hermione asked Ron that question, who had no explanation and assured that it had not been impolite on his part.