13.(CH) big surprise, you and him

Start from the beginning

"I found this book and I thought it might be useful to you." Cho's voice brought his eyes back to the pile in front of him, where a new hardcover stood out on top.

Cedric smiled and thanked her as she sat in the chair to his right side and opened a book where she had left it earlier. Cho, who used to attend his study meetings or hang out from time to time, hadn't missed a single one since Cedric had decided to accept her offer. It was difficult for him to express how much he appreciated her intelligence and willingness to help others.

Then, Cedric glanced in Harry's direction again without meaning to.

He hadn't pictured him as someone who frequented the library. Just as he hadn't expected that he would go to Hogsmeade being invisible, nor had he expected Harry to smile at him like that for the first time.

XXXIII

Cedric hadn't really made any plans for the next trip outside of Hogwarts. When a report of a sighting of Black in Hogsmeade appeared in the papers, he realised that the small spark of disappointment was because he had assumed that he would keep his word and go for a butterbeer with Harry. It was more a sketch than a well-structured idea because he didn't even know how he could have pulled it off, and he instantly gave way to the feeling that perhaps it had been a risky proposition on his part to have gone into the forest with Harry.

What if he had put him in danger?

Even if nothing terrible had happened, he should have been cautious.

Visits to Hogsmeade were cancelled for the remainder of the school year, which was a few months in times of exams and training. Although Hufflepuff had already played all of their games, they continued with their usual practice schedule. Study sessions were frequent to prepare for all classes. Cedric was reclining on the airchair in a desolate common room after the last hour of Charms with Tam and Willow, who were in the same condition as him.

Tired.

In two hours he had training with Tam, who was also part of the team and was in the same airchair that seemed like an excellent place to rest. Willow, in one of the seats across from them, sat up and Cedric watched through narrowed eyes how she addressed him. "I've seen you spending more time with Cho lately."

He barely nodded his head, sleepy and having trouble understanding the tone behind her words. Two years had passed since he started being friends with Cho. They used to hang out in groups. Sometimes they ran into each other between classes. He didn't think there was anything new about it.

"She is very pretty," Willow continued. "I would definitely go out with her if I were you."

Cedric could feel how Tam stirred, awakening. "Would you really?" she blurted out her shocked question.

It wasn't the first time that one of his friends had suggested something like that. And what Malcolm had said weeks ago was not even close to being an exception. Ever since he had met Cho, several people seemed to expect them to start a romantic relationship. Cedric didn't get it and could easily feel uncomfortable, because they were friends.

Yes, she was cute, he did not deny it.

He just didn't know why one thing should lead to the other.

"Maybe Cho will accept you on a date if you ask her," Cedric replied with half a smile, closing his eyes again. "What do you think, Tam? Do you think she would say yes? You know her well."

"I didn't know you were such good friends."

"I didn't know you'd go out with her, Will."

Both girls kept talking to each other in their strange way of being best friends since childhood that most of the time Cedric didn't understand. Tam's suspicious jealousy and interest in Willow's romantic life, when Cedric was grateful to her for never meddling in his (or in his absence of one). He had realised this a long time ago and was increasingly convinced that it meant that she had feelings for Will, something Tam would deny even if he asked her. He wasn't sure what Willow would say, but he refused to get involved in such a delicate matter.